Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I'm not sure if this is old news already, but I just found out.

Take a look!
Old 10-11-2005, 10:49 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I now own it! I'll be reading it tomorow while you guys are all at work/school. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:38 PM   #3
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Finally. *grumble* I hope this one features Rand some more than the last...
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Got it tonight - but not happy that the hardback is in the new cover format (ie a large stylised symbol of the wheel as opposed to the pictures). I preferred the artwork covers - way better. Is the American version any different or does it just have a large symbol on the cover as well? I could pick the American cover up when I go to Perth next week if they are much better, but they will charge 70 or 80 bucks vesus 50 for the new symbol.

Oh my daughter or my ducats
Old 10-13-2005, 05:06 PM   #5
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

The american version look just like the one I linked to above.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:57 AM   #6
Griefmaker
The Magister

How is the book? I hope it picks up more than the last 6 or 7 did. I still think the best books were the first three--the last few have been so slow and in some ways overly-detailed to a fault that they make the Silmarillion feel like easy reading (it is a very good book BTW, once you understand all of the few thousand different names, but very hard to just pick up and read).

I am re-reading all of the books right now, since I have pretty much forgotten what is happening in the story, but I plan to buy #11 once I get to that point. I sure hope it is a good book, or I may have to spank my cat (o.k., i am just kidding, I'll actually spank my wife [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Old 10-14-2005, 08:48 AM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
The american version look just like the one I linked to above.
Bugger - yeah - that looks like all my other hardbacks which are also American versions - now I have ruined the set. Oh well - I still had 2 paperbacks in there as book 2 and 3, so it's not as if I had a perfect set of hardbacks anyway. Just annoying that the specialty shops sell the American version for so much more than the Aussie version.

The again - it is good that for the first time I have seen Australian bookshops release at the same time as America. That has been the real reason that I have so many American editions - who wants to wait the additional couple of months.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:45 AM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I finished it yesterday. Here's what I thought of it, without spoilers.

The book was mostly about Mat, Elayne, Perrin and Egwene. There was more happening than in the previous book, but many characters got "point of view" parts, including characters that were not "main characters". I like it, because you can see what people think of the main characters from their point of view. But the problem is that there are just 30 or so chapters, so you end up with only 3 or so chapters per character. At the end it feel like the book was really short, compared to the first few books where each characters got maybe 10 chapters each.

Personally, I really like when he write about many characters and show us some of their daily lives and what they are thinking, but the problem is that waiting a year for each book is way too long. It would take something like 3 of his current novels to feel like you've read one. I just finished it, and it feel like I shouldn't even be halfway. Now I have to wait another year.