Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
DrowArchmage
Mephistopheles

Default Car Question

Im looking at a 1994 Ford Thunderbird. Its been sitting with a cracked block for about three years now and im wondering if its worth trying to put another engine into it.

Please remember that i live in Michigan and the weather around here is a bit unpredictable at best.

Also....
Everything else is intact, the hood, windows, tires,...ect.

The car itself is being given to me for free by my girlfriends dad, and i already found an engine for it. Whats already in it is a 3.8 v6, although with a cracked block it wont do any good.

Like i said i already found a replacement engine of the same type.

The car itself will start, but of course with the cracked block it overheats quickly.

So my question is.... Is it worth trying to make my primary car, or would i be better off trying to make it a project to work on when i get the time?

If you can help me out it would be appreciated because i leave for For Knox, Kentucky at the end of this week
for nine weeks of Basic Training.

-al'Lan Mandragoran, Last Lord of the Seven Towers
DrowArchmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Car Question

I mean, you can do either really. Given the time it's been sitting there, understand that other problems will most certainly pop up. Personally, i'd make it a project and not rely on it as my main vehicle until I am sure it is functional 100% and trustworthy on the road (i.e. not gonna break down suddenly due to some other problem).
Old 05-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

'94 doesn't sound that long, but it is 15 years; plus, it's a Ford..
Was that around the time they built them with the rust already included?

You'll need to look at the whole package: brake system etc.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

I did something similar once. Replaced the engine in a 93 Crown Vic (ok, paid a mechanic to do it for me...) and drove that car for another 5 years before I sold it. Still ran great. If you're sure the replacement engine's in good shape, there's no reason not to go for it...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Dude, this needs to be a back-burner project. You are going to be VERY BUSY in basic training. Are you going to be a spec, or just plain infantry? If a spec, where's that school? Basically, what are you going to be doing the next 3-4 years?

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
Kezardin
Elminster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrowArchmage View Post
So my question is.... Is it worth trying to make my primary car, or would i be better off trying to make it a project to work on when i get the time?
Howdy DA,

I helped some friends with a car restoration a few years ago - first and only big block I've ever seen

I'd do something like this in my spare time. You may find problems that aren't readily apparent at the moment that could prove time consuming to fix. Also gives you an opportunity to decide on possible improvements such as a respray, engine workover, or meaty disc brakes.

And when you have a week or 2 spare, christen it by taking your girlfriend cruisin' down Route 66
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
DrowArchmage
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
Dude, this needs to be a back-burner project. You are going to be VERY BUSY in basic training. Are you going to be a spec, or just plain infantry? If a spec, where's that school? Basically, what are you going to be doing the next 3-4 years?
Elfbane, im guessing you're a military man?

Im going to Basic in good ole Fort Knox, my MOS is 63Bravo, aka Light Wheel Vehicle mechanic.

That schools gonna be in Fort Lenenwood? i dont know how its spelled. Im only a reservist though sir. So im not going anywhere.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Short answer: Replacing the engine is a viable way to put the car back in service. I've done it before.

Addendum: Before replacing the engine, have it inspected and replace any "consumable" parts that you can... hoses, etc. Replaced an engine on one car because a short inaccessible hose burst. Six weeks later on the new engine... same freakin' hose burst.

Corollary: Depending on how long it's been out of service, other things may be having issues as well. Seals, gaskets, hoses, belts... they can dry or wear out. You may need to inspect and replace those as well.

My thoughts: Certainly a worthwhile project, although if this is your primary transportation, you may want to get a mechanic to do it more quickly. If you can be patient, then do it yourself. First time I replaced a head gasket on that car mentioned above, took me two weeks. Second time, two days. Third time, two hours.

Why three times? 'cause apparently, some lessons I don't learn very well the first time...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrowArchmage View Post
Elfbane, im guessing you're a military man?

Im going to Basic in good ole Fort Knox, my MOS is 63Bravo, aka Light Wheel Vehicle mechanic.

That schools gonna be in Fort Lenenwood? i dont know how its spelled. Im only a reservist though sir. So im not going anywhere.
Retired Navy. Aviation electronics. You may have noticed that it's the reserves doing a lot of the fighting. Learn your lessons well, keep your head down. Keep the powder dry and your weapon repaired. If you take care of your tools,,,,they will take care of you. Enough cliches, good luck!

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
DrowArchmage
Mephistopheles

Well, you see Bungleau, while im in bootcamp, a family friend and my stepdad are going to do this.

The family friend used to own an auto shop in the town i live in, so he is pretty good at what he does. Not to mention that the county and state police still take their cars to him for electrical and engine service.

Here's a list of things i already have the money to replace.
-Tires
-windshield
-seals
-oil change, fluid flush
-brakes

Aftermarket stuff i had planned on puttin in.
-new rims
-seat covers(nothing wrong with normal seats i just want covers for protection)
-new cd player(came with old tape player)
-audio system
-after market engine parts(when i have time)

But im pretty sure that i'll be well off when i get back. The car should do fine.