Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #1
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I finally installed the Saerileth mod, and I'm having a blast with it! However, I am having some serious dificulty against the dragon that the mod adds (Klangaxin or something). My party, it seems, is just too low a level to take him on. I know I can come back later, but I have a major problem with that: I am playing a paladin and doing the stronghold quests, but the first one where you save a group of paladins from ogres is interupted by Klangy, since they are directly south of the Umar cave. I would get Carsomyr, but I dont want to kill Firkraag until I am assigned the quest, and cant get the quest until I kill Klangy.

My party:
PC Inquisitor lvl 10
Saerileth lvl 11
Anomen lvl 7/10
Jaheira lvl 9/12
Jan lvl 10/11

What level do you recomend I take on Klangy? Is there some way I could kill him now?

Thanks!
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #2
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

You know that killing Firky before being assigned the quest doesn't afect the quest, you just tell them you already did it.
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Really? I read somewhere that it ruins the quest if you do it ahead of time...

Well, assuming Firky is easier, that should help a lot. Thanks!
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 06:29 PM   #4
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I did that on my last run through as a Paladin, i'll check the journal from the save to make sure.

*****VERY IMPORTANT EDIT*****: I did, BUT you don't get the extra experience aparantly that you would have got had you waited.

[ 07-28-2005, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Aragorn1 ]
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:44 PM   #5
Sillara of the Tamari
The Magister

If you had a 12+ level mage you could do the malison-malison-chromatic orb trick. And a couple of dooms from Jaheira wouldn't hurt. Not to mention the cheese of casting the cleric spell "Magic Resistance" on a dragon. [img]tongue.gif[/img] There is no save, as it is considered a "friendly" spell, but it SETS your MR to the level given by the spell; it does not AUGMENT your MR. Suddenly the dragon has only approximately 20%-25% MR, and those malisons, dooms, and chromatic orbs get through!

Sillara
Can you accept a necromancer? Can you trust a murderer? Can you love [url]\"http://chosenofmystra.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=17\" target=\"_blank\">Tsujatha</a>?<br />If you like Tsujatha, you should read his [url]\"http://www.gilalion.com/novels.htm\" target=\"_blank\">novels</a>.<br />Natha ssin\'urn lu\' dwalc ilythiiri noamuth wund l\' rivven: [url]\"http://chosenofmystra.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=18\" target=\"_blank\">Yasraena</a> zhah ghil!<br />[url]\"http://chosenofmystra.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=16\" target=\"_blank\">Saerileth\'s</a> bounty is as boundless as the sea; the more she gives to you, the more she has, for her love is infinite.
Sillara of the Tamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:25 PM   #6
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Greater Malison's don't stack.

Another cheesy trick is to cast "Strength" on a dragon. It's never resisted, and I'll bet dragon's are stronger than 18/00.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:30 PM   #7
Western Paladin
Dungeon Master

I think they have around 20 - 22 Strength, so that should work. It seems kind of really cheesy, though.

"We saved the world. I say we party." -- Buffy
Western Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 08:15 AM   #8
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I just wasted him with a party around level 10 - in the end it was done by magic. Cast two lower resistances (all I had memorised) and then just hit him with the usual damage spells. Flame arrow, magic missile etc.

Mazzy and Saerileth both seemed to do good jobs of holding him back from my casters but they were pretty ineffective at actually hitting him. Providing you have two or three mages, that's probably the way to go.

[ 07-29-2005, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:35 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty4:
PC Inquisitor lvl 10
Saerileth lvl 11
Anomen lvl 7/10
Jaheira lvl 9/12
Jan lvl 10/11
I hope you're planning on getting a full-time Mage soon....

Quote:
Originally posted by Sillara of the Tamari:
.... malison-malison-chromatic orb trick. And a couple of dooms from Jaheira wouldn't hurt. Not to mention the cheese of casting the cleric spell "Magic Resistance" on a dragon.
So....the justification for introducing a powerful Dragon at a point too early for it to be beaten is....to strongarm the player into abusing cheesy spells if they don't want to leave a hostile Dragon in a populated area? Sounds like a great mod.

Doom doesn't stack with itself, either.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:37 AM   #10
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Either does malison
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote