Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 04:08 PM   #11
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonSlayer25:
I thought carbon atoms aligned in cubes to make diamonds so strong, but then again I had way too many pretty girls in my chem class.
The only think I know that has a cubed molecular structure is salt. There must be slight differences I guess,.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #12
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
And just curious, where does diamond dust come from, and not the obvious "from cutting diamonds", but the first diamond dust. How could they make it without having any, way back when.
Way back they did it by magic, with a shatter spell!
Old 07-25-2006, 04:18 PM   #13
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
quote:
I thought carbon atoms aligned in cubes to make diamonds so strong, but then again I had way too many pretty girls in my chem class.
The only think I know that has a cubed molecular structure is salt. There must be slight differences I guess,. [/QUOTE]diamonds atoms are alligned not in cubes but tetrahedrons.

it's the crystal structure of diamonds that's cubic, as it is with salt and many other substances

[ 07-25-2006, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 07-25-2006, 04:25 PM   #14
Legolas
Jack Burton

Basically, you're dealing with carbon atoms. Rather like caltrops, they have four 'legs' each and so three of them are always in the same plane while a fourth is pointing 'up'. In the case of a diamond you end up with long flat fields of triangular shapes, stacked on top of one another.
It's a very efficient and sturdy structure in some directions, but while a diamond is amazingly hard (difficult to scratch) it is also amazingly brittle (easy to shatter).
The reason for that is, there aren't nearly as many 'legs' pointing up and down as there are pointing 'sideways'. You can slide the layers apart, but you can't easily break the layers themselves.

As to finding diamond dust, it's usually easier to find small pieces of dust and grit lying about than it is to find a huge chunk of diamond. Diamond dust forms when there isn't enough material to form a larger diamond, for example.

EDIT: Here we go:

[ 07-25-2006, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote