Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2001, 09:32 PM   #1
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hi,

I've searched around but can't find a topic related to this, so I guess I'm the only one who is having problems with the mines.

Anyway, here goes...

Part 1: Cave
I went all the way to the lowest level and there is a cave (where you find another mage who keeps whining that "we're all going to die"). When my party went to the right room, we bumped into a powerful mage who started summoning in hordes of skeletons and kobolds continuously. Party kept dying, no way to survive with such a huge bunch of monsters + mage himself.

Part 2: Additional area
After walking round to the other end (there's a lake, I believe), there is an option to enter a new area. Once my party went there, we were attacked by 3-4 clerics and also died repeatedly.

How did you guys manage to beat these battles??
mistral4543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 10:02 PM   #2
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

In the first battle i had my druid/cleric at the entrance and cast entangle on the summoned kobolds and skellies. That will hold most of them. Some will get through but they where stopped by minsc. I concentrated my thief with a bow and mage with magic misile on the cleric disrupting spells and send in one fighter. After the cleric was gone the rest of the summoned creatures or easy to pick of. After they are entangled you could use a fireball (if you have it) to quickly get rid of them to.
As for the second fight. First you don't have to go through there. You can backtrack through the mine and do it later. I managed to do it in much of the same fashion. Entangle and arrows work well. Allthough you might want to try to engage them one at a time. As a groug they are powerfull but only one of them will fall easely.

JR

Damned i lost cousin Jan's techno gloves
JR Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 12:12 AM   #3
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Thanks! I abandoned BG after I met these obstacles, went full steam to BGII and haven't regretted it since. Maybe I'll go back to BG one of these days...

Are you a Jan supporter? I think he's really cute. Cuddly + street-smart = irresistible. Wonder what the turn out will be if I were to set up a Jan clan...
mistral4543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2001, 05:46 AM   #4
Kormar the Wanderer
Manshoon

The first battle you mention isn't that difficult if you attack the cleric with ranged weapons and have your character with the best armor class defend the entrance to the room from the kobolds and skellies. The missile attacks should frequently disrupt spells he attempts to cast at you while the low AC of the character blocking the rest of the enemies should require a very high roll for the enemy to hit. As for the second battle, you are talking about Lamalha, Maneira, Telka and Zeela. They are all around level 5 or so and will definitely slaughter a low level party, given one possible exception. If you can draw them out one at a time and hit them with a few effective charm person spells you can turn them against each other and get some very useful items, especially considering how early in the game it is.

------------------
"Beware fool that you put too much stock in the power of the spoken word, lest the unspoken one trample you from behind."
Kormar
Kormar the Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 04:34 AM   #5
Zbyszek

Personally when I encounter Mulahey I am at level 3 and I wouldnt have chances with this 4 ladies from second point. I just retreat back to the mines overland area. Since mines are clean and safe there is no danger. That ladies have good stuff but I visit them later.
Concerning Mulahey in mines: as it is written above: Minsc blocks entrance and fight with kobolds and skeletons. Other party members fight Mulahey. He is fast but usually can cast only one, two spells until is dead - ranged weapon!
Zbyszek
Zbyszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 07:20 AM   #6
Ed
Manshoon

Maybe you just tried it too early. I always try to do all the smaller quests i can before going on to the important ones. I find that always helps, and it means you don't forget to do them and therefore get more experience...

------------------

The REAL Minsc/Boo double act .....

Platinum Fighter of ALSB
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2001, 09:04 AM   #7
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by mistral4543:
Thanks! I abandoned BG after I met these obstacles, went full steam to BGII and haven't regretted it since. Maybe I'll go back to BG one of these days...

Are you a Jan supporter? I think he's really cute. Cuddly + street-smart = irresistible. Wonder what the turn out will be if I were to set up a Jan clan...

Well, i like the litlle dude. But i wouldn't make another clan. I don't read those post anymore. Just annoys me, that's all. If you want however, do it. I'll become a member. And seeing he's my cousin, i have no other choice. I, however, would like that he keeps that damn rodent out of my face. that hamster's annoying.

JR

Damned i lost cousin Jan's techno gloves
JR Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote