Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2003, 04:02 PM   #11
Faceman
Hathor

Going to school with somebody who is different than you can make you learn important things and it contributes to being able to deal with this issues without either negative or positive discrimination.

Example:
If you go to high school and a gay boy hits on you, you tell him you're straight and not interested. If he keeps hitting on you he's a jerk. Not a "poor homophile who can't help it" and not a "f***ing faggot" but a plain jerk.

Once kids start to learn that there are decent people AND jerks of any gender, sexuality, skin colour, origin, ... and that neither nice guys nor bad guys are limited to one of the above our future society will be a lot easier.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:05 PM   #12
Chewbacca
Zartan

So what is the bigger crime? What causes more outrage? What should really be discredited in the article I posted? A "safe" school for kids to learn "separate" from their hateful peers or the behavior of those hateful peers and their parents?

The article I posted wasn't about the school itself, but the reception the students received on the first day. People are so quick to deride the school but so far few have no comment about the hatemongers standing out front "protesting" the students supposed sexuality.

Is it okay to hate the homosexuals but its not okay to make a safe school for them to attend?

If I had the choice between sending my kid to a school where they would be heckled, harrassed and beat up for simply being themselves, or to a school where the staff and student body were indifferent or even supportive of the kid's individuality I would choose the later.

And MagiK the idea that these kids should keep their sexuality to themselves, well I could just as easily tell you to keep your opinions to yourself but that would be just as stupid and unfair as what you proposed. How about people keep their religion to themselves? How about people keep their politics to them selves? How about people keep their likes and dislikes to themselves. Keep your nationality to yourself? keep your personality to yourself? I could go on and on... Where does it end?
Old 09-09-2003, 04:09 PM   #13
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
Would this 'keeping their sexuality to themselves' apply to hetrosexual kids as well?

I am quite serious. In answer to your question. Yes. I really like the idea of all boys and all girls schools AND I do believe that it is possible for kids to keep it in their pants....it used to be "The NORM".
Old 09-09-2003, 04:16 PM   #14
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
Going to school with somebody who is different than you can make you learn important things and it contributes to being able to deal with this issues without either negative or positive discrimination.

Example:
If you go to high school and a gay boy hits on you, you tell him you're straight and not interested. If he keeps hitting on you he's a jerk. Not a "poor homophile who can't help it" and not a "f***ing faggot" but a plain jerk.

Once kids start to learn that there are decent people AND jerks of any gender, sexuality, skin colour, origin, ... and that neither nice guys nor bad guys are limited to one of the above our future society will be a lot easier.
Tell that to the trans-gender kid who, after daily swirlies and beatings in the the bathroom and threats that if he tells he will be dead, finally has a place where he can go to the bathroom with out fearing the throngs of junior gang bangers just itching to kick somebodies ass.

We are talking an American inner-city school district here...The types of environments that inspired movies like Lean On Me and The Principal.

It's an admirable idea that people can learn from diversity as well as adversity, but if the darn kettle is whistling you gotta take it off the oven or the water will boil over.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:19 PM   #15
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Tell that to the trans-gender kid who, after daily swirlies and beatings in the the bathroom and threats that if he tells he will be dead, finally has a place where he can go to the bathroom with out fearing the throngs of junior gang bangers just itching to kick somebodies ass.

So what is this kid who cannot cope going to do the day he graduates? Move to an all gay community and get a job at an all gay corporation?

Edit: for typo's and to make sure Chewie knows, Im being serious and not sarcastic here.

[ 09-09-2003, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]
Old 09-09-2003, 04:29 PM   #16
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Would this 'keeping their sexuality to themselves' apply to hetrosexual kids as well?

I am quite serious. In answer to your question. Yes. I really like the idea of all boys and all girls schools AND I do believe that it is possible for kids to keep it in their pants....it used to be "The NORM".
[/QUOTE]The norm? When? I've heard my dad's stories of when he was in HS in the late 50's (in Indiana). It sure wasn't the norm then! May have to got back another 50 years or so I guess [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2003, 04:33 PM   #17
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

This just goes to show what happens when you let the loony left run the schools. everything falls apart and anarcy reigns supreme.
khazadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 04:34 PM   #18
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:

So what is this kid who cannot cope going to do the day he graduates? Move to an all gay community and get a job at an all gay corporation?

Edit: for typo's and to make sure Chewie knows, Im being serious and not sarcastic here.
[/QUOTE]Lacking a safe refuge he is probably more likely to bring a weapon to school one day and show those bullies once and for all what it feels like.

Besides you miss the point its not about the kids sexuality or what what hes going to do after high school, but about the way he is treated in the hypothetical scenario. I guess that must be okay to you since you are more concerned where the kids gonna end up after being able to go to school in a safe enviroment rather than what is happening to cause the neccessity of that safe enviroment.

edited for clarity.

And to ask if people get beat up and given swirlies in todays corporate enviroment?

[ 09-09-2003, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 09-09-2003, 04:45 PM   #19
MagiK

Quote:
The norm? When? I've heard my dad's stories of when he was in HS in the late 50's (in Indiana). It sure wasn't the norm then! May have to got back another 50 years or so I guess [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Im not that old. [img]smile.gif[/img]

It was the norm that there was no fratrenizing in several of the schools I attended. The dances were formal affairs and were VERY well chaperoned of course this was in a community where moral values were set by christian religious churches and "alternative" life styles were not encouraged or welcome.
Kids did not hve the "right" to privacy and their lockers were open for inspection, and the principle was encouraged by parents to paddle their kids if they misbehaved and on the occasion that some tough kid thought he was so baaad a shop teacher or one of the other male teachers would wait till they caught him being a bully and would deck his ass.....yeah I know can't do that any more...might bruise his ego or heaven forbid, damage his self esteem.

I know, those days are gone. Doesnt mean I have to like it.

[ 09-09-2003, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]
Old 09-09-2003, 04:52 PM   #20
MagiK

Quote:
Lacking a safe refuge he is probably more likely to bring a weapon to school one day and show those bullies once and for all what it feels like.

Besides you miss the point its not about the kids sexuality or what what hes going to do after high school, but about the way he is treated in the hypothetical scenario. I guess that must be okay to you since you are more concerned where the kids gonna end up after being able to go to school in a safe enviroment rather than what is happening to cause the neccessity of that safe enviroment.

edited for clarity.

And to ask if people get beat up and given swirlies in todays corporate enviroment?

Ummm Chewie...where did I ever hint that it was ok to mistreat the kid?

I was pointing out that sheltering him from the real world isn't going to be doing any favors for him. As for killing people, if that is the only way he can deal with bullies, then he is as seriously mentally unstable as the bullies are. The kid needs to learn to cope and to blend into his environment, its all fine and dandy to be gay if you want to, but you need to realize that choice (or if not choice then life style) or just being different carries a price.

Nothing in life is free and it is NOT only the gay kids that have to contend with bullies. Skinny kids do, fat kids do, jewish kids do, ugly kids do, poor kids do...every one has to learn to cope with it and has to deal with the same exact bullies. Being gay doesnt mean you are suffering more than any one else is.