Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2001, 10:05 PM   #11
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

CB--
So glad you posted this.....I just finished the Robert Jordan WoT series and walked down to Barnes and Noble tonight to look at new books. I have read the Icewind Dale series (excellent) and most of the Dragonlance, but like you I wanted to get into the Forgotten Realms books. Lets just say B&N has about 4 full shelves of books!!! I did end up getting Avatar, which someone suggested, so I am glad

Another question for people--
I saw there was a series called "harpers", has anyone read this series and is it any good?
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 10:13 PM   #12
Valen

You people in the state are luckly, it took me two years to get the complete Cleric Quintet series and only have 3 of the 20 or so harper series. ( the ones I have read are good.)
Old 02-17-2001, 10:15 PM   #13
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Yah, Amazon had the harpers too...I am starting to get sooooo confused again...somebody want to start prioritizing the "must reads" and in some kind of chronological/logical order for me?!

I may order some books tomorrow or run out to Barnes and Noble. Not like I have time to read...but what the heck!

Cloudbringer
Cloudbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 10:17 PM   #14
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I didnt like the Harpers much but I only tried the first one or two. They were pretty"basic" I guess you would say. You can read one in a couple hours and wonder why you did.
Lord of Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 10:28 PM   #15
Larry

Ok, I know that this should be posted in the AD&D Forum, but it is easier for you to get attention here. I own a very large collection of Forgotten Realms, since it is the only books I buy. I have been trying to gather a few that I have missed down the years. If there is one person on this board that I am sure knows more about Forgotten Realms than me, it is Memnoch.
Anyway, The Crystal Shard is the first book I ever owned. Get all of the ones that are in any way associated with it. Next, the Avatar Trilogy, the Shadow of the Avatar Trilogy, and the Life of Elminster the mage (so far, three parts, soon to be four) are needed. You cannot pass up the Crucible, either. As far as the Harpers...there are 16 of them...but Elaine Cunninham took out numbers 2,8, and 13, I think they are, and reprinted them together in a trilogy. They are very good to have as well...
Man !! Sorry, I guess you will have to buy all 79 at the rate I am going....
Old 02-17-2001, 10:35 PM   #16
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Moridin - sorry to sound like a broken record, but I would highly recommend C.S. Friedman's Colfire Trilogy! Only three books, but three books you'll never forget. I've read the Robert Jordan series as well, but I still feel Friedman's 3 books take out all competitors intensity-wise. These books really make you feel it. The story also includes a huge fantasy scenario with situations and beings that only a certain mind could have created! I love books that surprise me and constantly keeps me interested and wanting to know more! Please keep Friedman in mind the next time you visit the book store!
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 10:39 PM   #17
Valen

Buying suggestions: go to shop, read blur, read proluge, if it sounds good buy it. If not don't.

Oh and I don't reccomend the Baldurs Gate books....read the first and it all most stoped me playing the game.
Old 02-17-2001, 10:41 PM   #18
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Larry, Thanks... I will, no doubt, end up reading most of them

I'm a little on the particular side when it comes to what I spend time reading. Author has to have good solid plot/decent style and not leave lots of unecessary loose ends or dead ends. I pretty much stopped buying fantasy stuff several yrs ago, I found some of the more popular ones were pretty hackneyed "churn out the formula book " fast as you can types...and then I wondered, like LoA said, "why'd I bother reading this?".... I like to be involved in the plot/feel something for the characters, wonder what happens next and be hoping for a sequel!

So with that in mind- can anyone narrow down my beginning choices?!

Memnoch?

Cloudy
Cloudbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 11:34 PM   #19
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

ladyzekke--

I will definetely keep Friedman in mind. Is the Colfire trilogy the only one's he has written or are there others (probably....duh moridin....author writes one series and quits....oh well talking to self again). Do you suggest any other of his works just in case Colfire series is not in the store?
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2001, 03:06 AM   #20
BLACK KNIGHT

Don't think this is Forgotten Realms, but there are six books along the way that all forgotten realms/dragon lance people have to read. They are Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragon of Spring Dawning,(These are the original Dragonlance Trilogy) and The Test of the Twins, War of the Twins, and Time of the Twins. These are all done by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I would go further and ask if they have the Annotated version of the Original Trilogy. Really adds to the reading to see the author's notes. Forgotten Realms wise, definately go for the Dark Elf Trilogies. I think they may be two Large Books of three books each. Both are good. IMHO, the first three book in Chronological order, not in the order they were written, are the best. Between those 12 books or 4 if you go for large hardbound, you should be kept in books for a while.

BK