Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2001, 06:47 PM   #1
)V(ajin l3uu
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Could gorion take sarevok if:
A)Sarevok didn't have his goonies to help him, and
B)Gorion would be logical enough to carry maybe a dagger+1 because all he had was a dagger

Also if you got the meanest suped up mage (got real high rolls), gave him all the best armor and all the tomes, could you take sarevok 1v1?
Old 12-04-2001, 07:40 PM   #2
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

Yes, I think Gorion would win in a 'real' fight, i.e., in a duel between the two characters via their .chr files in a game and not a script.

Re: the second question... well, if the question is could a level 9 mage who had rolled the highest possible legal stats, using the best items in the game for a mage, defeat Sarevok toe to toe that is testable. If you're talking about just facing each other down on an open plain and the mage only casting spells, that is. And now that I think of it the answer is yes, as I know several people who have soloed as a mage and won the game. I'm assuming they used summoned monsters, though.

Also, I would say that if it is a level 15 mage (and then equal in level to Sarevok), then no problem. But with alevel 9 mage getting only one level 5 spell, that would be indeed be tough. Tough but doable.
Old 12-04-2001, 08:41 PM   #3
SecretMaster
Apophis

Remeber that they time gorions death
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 08:44 PM   #4
Alcyone Silverblade
Elite Waterdeep Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis:
Yes, I think Gorion would win in a 'real' fight, i.e., in a duel between the two characters via their .chr files in a game and not a script.

once when i was starting bg 1 and i had memorized just about every item reference and i cheated lots, i made a god-char and gorion killed me with his lightning. if only it was for use against anyone but his foster child... sarevok wasnt that tough in the end.. but in that scripted battle his goons didnt do much to gorion from what i noticed
Alcyone Silverblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 10:42 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Let's assume that the Gorion vs. Sarevok fight scene isn't played out to a pre-arranged script. It really doesn't matter what level Gorion is, because all he has memorized is a Lightning Bolt, Sleep, 2 Melf's AA, and I think 4 MM. The outcome of the battle depends on what level Sarevok is (meaning, how many hitpoints does he have), whether he's got his 100% Magic Resistance yet (he does not) and whether he's got a couple big, dumb Ogres there to draw Gorion's fire (yes). If I was a Mage as capable as Gorion and had his casting speed, I think I'd have a pretty good chance of taking Sarevok down. And if not, I'd run away instead of trying to STAB the guy.
Old 12-09-2001, 09:27 AM   #6
Tom
Elminster

NO, there is no way Gorion can take on sarevok. Hes got 154 hp. Hes over lvl 16(i summoned drizzt and sarevok to fight and sarevok won and drizzt is level 16)

If gorion only can go up to lightning bolt, and a lot of melrfs, hes prolly lvl 7, lets see, a really mean fighter over lvl 16, vs a non abjuration spell caster lvl 7. hmm, who d you think? And Sarevoks sword is enchanted with (spoiler)_-----------> the essence of the dead god Bhaal. And a mages armor class isnt realy supposed to be high. So Sarevok should rip through gorion.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 09:45 AM   #7
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Gorion SHOULD defeat Sarevok. Otherwise i cant understand why have they timed Gorion´s death instead of just arranging a normal battle and waiting for Sarevok to defeat him. Plus the fact that he has memorized LESS spells than he can memorize (or at least the script makes him cast less spells), and the only reason i see to do that is that otherwise he would be too powerful.

And about Gorion´s level, you dont have to look at how many spells does he have memorized, just look at his magic missiles: each of them fires 5 missiles, and to do that you need to be at least level 9. And Sarevok is level 15, Gatekeeper says so.
Old 12-09-2001, 10:36 AM   #8
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

According to the .chr file that was ripped from the game, Sarevok is level 15. He has strength 18/00, dex 18, con 17. He has 5 profs in large sword and a number of single profs in other weapons. He is equipped with a two handed sword, Kiel's helmet, and a Ring of Haste. He has 90% resistance to the following: fire, cold, electricity, acid, magic fire, magic cold, and 50% resistance to missile. Saving throws are 1 for all. His AC is -5, his THACO is 1, he gets 2 attacks per round. He has 330 HP, LOL!

Gorion is level 9. He has AC -1 (on his sheet although the inventory screen says 9) and 290 HP. He's wearing a Knave's Robe. He has four level 1 slots, three level 2 slots, nine level 3 slots, two level 4 slots, and one level 5 slot. Looking over Gorion's learned spells he would not have enough firepower to kill Sarevok. Gorion could always Shadow Door, Dimension Door, or Improved Invisibility himself away, so Sarevok wouldn't be able to kill him either.

With two players (actual people) dualing it out with these respective characters I have no doubt that Sarevok would win. In the MP games I play in we have a tradition of an all out, 'last man standing' battle amongst ourselves after exporting characters at the end of the session and saving. Fighters always desimate the spellcasters in these things (although this is partly due to the spellcaster's spells being depleted and certain spells not working vs. blue-encircled allies).

However, playing against the computer a properly equipped level 9 mage, i.e., wearing the two RoWs available in the game and wielding wands, should be able to easily defeat Sarevok. Just surround Sarevok with summoned monsters, and wail away on him. Sarevok has no ranged weapon capability. As long as you keep him busy with monsters or skellies (Gorion knows Animate Dead) you can just chip away at him. Also, at least with ToSC near as I can tell Sarevok does not have resistance to poison/breathe. So you could also surround him with summoned skeletons and cast cloud kill before firing away on him to hasten the process.
Old 12-10-2001, 06:18 AM   #9
Red Dragon Slayer
Dungeon Master

Actually if your interested when playtesting Sarvok WAS killed by Gorion a number of times. that's why they added the trigger to kill Gorion.
Red Dragon Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 11:42 AM   #10
Debaser

quote:
Originally posted by )V(ajin l3uu:
[QB]
B)Gorion would be logical enough to carry maybe a dagger+1 because all he had was a dagger
QB]

I somehow think that if it really came down to a "true" fight between Sarevok and Gorion, a dagger +1 would be insignificant to whether Gorion won or not. He would have to be a complete moron to go in close combat with Sarevok in the first place, so dagger +1 or not, that would make very little difference. It's Gorion's magic that would bring him victory...