Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2002, 10:06 PM   #1
Vohl
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Greetings all. Not sure what to make of this. I was searching the tombstones in the Nashkel cemetary (meaning reading them for a laugh) when i came upon one tombstone that triggered what appeared to be a wizard, and he threatened me to leave him alone, then he disappeared quickly. I searched the tombstone again, and he reappeared with the same threat. I stupidly searched again, and he had appeared again, and this time, he made good with his threats and summoned some warriors to his side, and proceeded to pound on me and my party quickly. I cannot even come close to beating this guy down. My question is, what is the meaning of this fight, and what does beating him or not beating him do to progress of the game.
I hope this makes sense, and thank you in advance.

btw nice message board, wish i had found it earlier
Vohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 10:19 PM   #2
safyre246
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Never checked the tombstones myself, I'll have to look into it myself.
safyre246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 10:22 PM   #3
Harry
The Magister

Location: The Land of naked fraulicing nymphs where your every desire comes true
there is no meaning to this fight. and those warriors give you very little XP too. it's best just to leave it be
Old 02-01-2002, 06:08 AM   #4
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

I have heard people say that they think this battle is harder than the one with Sarevok. Perhaps I should go and try to do it just before the end of the game, when I am the most powerful.

BTW, he summons more soldiers if you kill all of that group.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Scholarcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 06:37 AM   #5
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Yea, this fight doesn't affect the story at all, it's just a little thingy on the side. And it's a pretty tough battle too. If you kill one of those warriors, he explodes in a fireball, doing massive damage to your party. So I'd say, do it late in the game, it's a good challenge to see if you're up to Sarevok and his goonies. Good place to test out different strategies you can use against powerful opponents IMO.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 11:47 AM   #6
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

I haven't fought this fight in an SP game yet, thanks for reminding me of it.

I would think the Protection from Fire spell is the way to go here. Also potions of fire protection, and the scroll. Maybe wearing two rings of fire resistance: 40% x2 = 80%; you can wear two of them, their effect is cummulative when two are worn, though?. If the effect of the ring is cummulative then mage wearing two rings of fire resistance and a robe of fire protection (20%) would have full protection from fire.

From a roleplaying angle, preparing the party with Protection from Fire before the fight wouldn't be kosher, because in the story you have absolutely no way of knowing what's coming...

I guess you could initiate the battle, run like hell into the store or barracks, then cast the fire protection spell on a few characters, and/or equip with fire resistance gear, etc., and see if the protected characters can draw and absorb the brunt of the attacks from the phoenix guards.
Old 02-01-2002, 02:39 PM   #7
Forzen-
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I did that battle with my solo paladin. Quite easy in the end.
I did after finish durlags tower just before going to beat sarevok, so i was pretty beefed up (used the exp. cap remover). Helm of defence, potions of fire resitance, ring of fireresistance, some magic protection and som bad ass armour. After that it was a walk in the park. Just kill the wizard first....
Anyway, its quite unnessisary. coz neither the mage or the warriors give much xp or some good magic items.
Forzen- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 03:30 PM   #8
Lavindathar
Harper

quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis:
I haven't fought this fight in an SP game yet, thanks for reminding me of it.

In other words, he didn't know of it. But now he does, so he thanks you. I never found this either, and I have never heard mention of it. So congratulations Vohl, you've earned my respect!!

I will go and try in a bit!

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: Lavindathar ]

Old 02-02-2002, 03:12 AM   #9
Vohl
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks Lav, appreciate that.
Either way, I was ready to pull all my hair out, cause i have never walked or ran away from a battle, or even avoided one. This battle, to me, seems to be a little harder then the final battle, it was more surprising and definitly took my party down fast.
Thanks for all the thoughts, used most of them, and finally did it, and seems the rewards for this did not exceed the price of hair-loss and a broken mouse.
Vohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 01:59 PM   #10
Lavindathar
Harper

Lol, I went back to try this fight, and I am assuming it was only added after TOTSC is installed, as this is way too hard a fight otherwise. And at the following levels:

6/6

I couldnt beat this fight. It seems almost impossible. But after Durlags, this is the only big fight I havent done, so I will go back, and I assure you, I will win this fight. Everyone else should try it, as it is a very, very difficult encounter! Well done Vohl for beating it!