Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2001, 11:14 AM   #1
urthwyrte
Welcomed New User

How do I access the maps outside the towns. when i go to the edge of a screen, i only get the travel option to go to the towns, or other marked places. Thanks
urthwyrte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 11:44 AM   #2
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I'm not sure if this will answer your question, but you can only access areas you are "entitled" to at a certain time. That is, some areas only show up based on certain actions taken, or at certain times in the game.

I found it best to try to walk off each edge of each area to see if there is a new area adjacent to it. Walk off, and if you see something new, it's added to your map, then you can go to it or cancel and return to the area you just came from. Either way, it will be added to your map.

If that didn't help, maybe you could describe what you're asking a little more? (I can be a little slow [img]smile.gif[/img] )

GL!
Old 12-15-2001, 11:47 AM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Oh, it's your first post! I forgot to welcome you to IWs.

WELCOME! Glad to have you
Old 12-15-2001, 01:22 PM   #4
urthwyrte
Welcomed New User

For intstance at the beginning the map right after candlekeep i added Imeon, Xzar, and Montaron to my party and i explored the whole map and tried going to the edge on every side and it only gave me the option of going to Friendly arm in, candlekeep, or Beregorst, i can't get to the crossroads or whatever they are called
Old 12-15-2001, 01:29 PM   #5
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Hopefully someone with more recent experience will chime in here, because its been quite a while since I've played.

Sometimes you have to go to one area to reach the next. Go to the Friendly Arm, and see if that doesn't open up the area in question. Let me know, ok?

Another tip, make sure you clear each area, so you don't accidentally miss any encounters.
Old 12-15-2001, 01:36 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

That sounds like it could definitely be a bug, or maybe we're just not describing it well enough.

Just because something is on your map doesn't automatically mean you can go there. If the map is Light Brown: You know it's there (like towns), but you can't go there yet. If the map is Blue: You can go there. (You need to go to the edge of a map and "look off into the distance" to open up an adjacent map screen.) If the map is Black: You've been there. Sorry for the simplistic explanations, I just wanted to make sure everything was clear.

From the starting map, the only directions of travel open to you are East (to the crossroads), South (to High Hedge), and West (back to Candlekeep--not much point, as the guy won't let you in). You cannot go North--yet. Note: You have to walk "off the edge" of a map screen to travel to a new map. You can't go to the Friendly Arm or Beregost yet, as you have to open up maps adjacent to them first.
Old 12-15-2001, 08:42 PM   #7
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

Now that is a problem I have never had before, or even heard of. Perhaps you could try a reinstall?
Scholarcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2001, 01:05 AM   #8
urthwyrte
Welcomed New User

sorry i haven't been the greatest help either, but this is really getting to me. ok, i traveled to friendly arm inn, and beregorst talking to everyone and i still can't get to the crossroads, i have already reinstalled it once. When i get to the edge of a map the little spinning wheel thing is the cursor and when i click it brings me to the world map and no crossroads. and what did u mean by "look off into the distance" I'm complety stumped on this one. Thanks for bearin with me.
Old 12-16-2001, 02:55 AM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

By "look off into the distance" I meant to walk to the edge of a map screen to open up the adjacent map--to peek over the horizon, so to speak. The crossroads you're talking about is SOUTH of the Friendly Arm, right? If you can't open up the map by walking of the south edge of the Friendly Arm map, you have the weirdest damn bug I've ever heard of--do you know someone who has their own copy of the discs you could borrow?
Old 12-16-2001, 05:35 AM   #10
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Imagine the map as a chess table, where each row is an area. Then, to "discover" new areas in the map, you have to be in an adjacent area, go to the edge of that area that is adjacent to the place you want to go, and click when the cursor becomes a wheel.

For example, imagine that you are in area X and you want to "discover" area Y (that you still dont have in your map, or its still in brown color), that is directly south from X. Then, walk to the south in area X, and when you reach the edge and the cursor becomes a wheel, click and the area Y will become available (that is, in blue color).

I hope it helped, otherwise just ask again [img]smile.gif[/img]