Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2003, 10:26 AM   #1
cloud ff7 38
User suspended until [Nov26]

im tired of all these religious people coming to my door at 8:00 in the morning I DONT WANT TO COVERT TO MORMANISM DUMASSES jeeze these people annoy me i got to go to work at 10 also i dont have a religion and probably never will and i dont mean to be offensive to anybody who is into their faith. Still these people need real jobs.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:38 AM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

cloud, whether you know it or not, that IS their job. For some of those people, their churches require them to go out and talk to others about their church. Now I don't much care for people coming to my door to proselytize either, but trust me, it's not just you they've targeted and they probably don't like it any more than we do! Try telling them, politely, not to come back to your house and if they keep coming back, then tell them less politely! That's what I ended up doing.

Personally, I found all the Mormons who've come to my house to be polite and goodnatured about it when I ask them to leave (after telling them I already belong to a church). It's the JW's from up the road in my neighborhood that required threats of legal action to keep them off my doorstep several times a year. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Geez, you don't go to work til 10am? Must be nice! I start 2 hrs earlier.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:51 AM   #3
Grendal
Manshoon

I had the same problem but after bitching and whining to myself about it for a few years I did what Cloudbringer said. I just asked them to put me down on their "do not knock list" and I havent seen them in over two years!
Old 09-16-2003, 10:55 AM   #4
WillowIX
Apophis

I agree and disagree with Cloudy. It is their job, BUT if you are offended or irritated by their actions then they're not doing their job at all. Why not put up a sign telling them you don't want their visits or perhaps contacting them in some other way. Luckily we don't have that problem up here. Well maybe we do but I'm not home at 8am. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2003, 11:31 AM   #5
Rokenn
Galvatron

I hate those early morning religious door knockers. I'm always tempted to answer the door start naked and asking if they would like to come in so I can tell them about the pagan orgy I was at the night before [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2003, 11:37 AM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
I agree and disagree with Cloudy. It is their job, BUT if you are offended or irritated by their actions then they're not doing their job at all. Why not put up a sign telling them you don't want their visits or perhaps contacting them in some other way. Luckily we don't have that problem up here. Well maybe we do but I'm not home at 8am. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]
Well, most of the time ASKING them to stop coming 'round to your place works, but I had the JW's keep coming after I politely asked to be taken off their list of places to go. I finally had to be rude with one pair and tell them I wanted off the list or would file for a restraining order (they were knocking nearly every Saturday at 9 or 10 am AND some weeknights for a while). That got me off the list for the rest of the year but they came back the next year. Their explanation was that they routinely check back in case the occupant sold the house....I let them know they shouldn't hold their breath OR come back til they saw a sold sign on the lawn!

LOL! In some cases I think irritating people IS their goal! But in general, I have seen where being polite worked wonders (for the two sets of Mormon visitors and some Protestant church ladies I've had come by)and they left without hassle.

One set of JW's (the ones I finally threatened with legal action)just would NOT give up, though. They tried to open my screen door when I opened the main door (not a good thing to do with me, I really can't stand people being that aggressive on my doorstep and if my cats were to get out, I'd be one VERY unpleasant stop on their list!). Then they tried shoving pamphlets in the door AFTER I asked them not to open it and to please leave. I told them I wasn't interested, went to a church already, etc and they STILL kept at it so I got pretty rude...told them I found theirs to be full of blasphemy and I had no intention of speaking to them any further so get the hell off my property before I called the police and got a restraining order against their kingdom hall. They had a kid about 10 or so with them and quickly covered his ears when I said 'blasphemy' at which point they left rather abruptly....for some reason... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

That's usually NOT how I deal with people at the door, mind you, but enough IS enough, especially on my one day off where I don't have to be anyplace in the morning! I figure if you dont' hear my 'no, please leave' when I say it nicely a few times, it's open season after that.

[ 09-16-2003, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 09-16-2003, 11:53 AM   #7
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

Question Mark

actually us lovely l.d.s. (mormons) have great missionaries who don;t come back after being asked to leave. a friend of mine has told them once that she does not wish to investigate the church, so when the missionaries run into her a thte park they discuss me, or secular activities.

and they did have real jobs once. they have to pay for their mission. our one missionary actually worked on designing most of the video games you probably now play, or did a year ago. in fact the company he worked for was once contracted with blizzard. if you don;t want ot discuss religion you don;t have to. but they are ppl, and despite you saying that you don;t wish to offend anyone, i feel offended. as i have befriended many missionaries, i just can't see how anyone can veiw them strictly as missionaries.

mind you i do dislike jw missionaries, but that is because they forced their wedidng pamphlet into my house after i told tehm i was raised catholic and my husband-to-be is mormon.

anyway, i will try to not take the offense personally, but figure out if they are jw, or lds. if they are lds and your have continually asked them to leave you be then ask for a number for their mission president.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:15 PM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

That's exactly it, RevRuby! Being polite usually works for me, so I rarely go yelling at people at my door. [img]smile.gif[/img] The time I had to was rather exceptional but there are times when you need to be more forceful to get them to go. Now, I stress that was MY experience with my local JW group, so there's not generalizing about any one religion or other and door to door preaching!

Like I said, the Mormon and other groups that came were very polite and accepted my 'no thanks' very pleasantly. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-16-2003, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 09-16-2003, 12:43 PM   #9
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Never had to tell the J.W.'s to stay away from my house, they never knocked in the first place. But there was one girl who thought it would be a good idea to start preaching in the middle of class one day, and the whole class was telling her to shut up, with a few choice words implimented here and there. I'm all for sharing your religion with people, but if they don't want to hear it, then leave them alone and/or talk about something else. I'm also not too keen on the idea of going door to door and evangelizing. People usually view their homes as their little plot of remaining privacy, and may feel invaded when others show up unexpectedly.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 09-16-2003, 01:20 PM   #10
Chewbacca
Zartan

I remember when the Jehovah's Witnesses would bring us "Pagans" cookies at our witchy shop. I dunno why they never tried to proselytize considering how everyone makes them out to be. They typically would say very little, and would always ask if they could leave literature on the free literature table. They seemed to be nice humble folks but I guess it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch.

I thought it was L.D.S. practice not to peddle door to door, but perhaps such decisions are made locally. The Mormons I am friends with seem to look down upon door to door proselytizing.

Ah the joys and pitfalls of living in a security high-rise. They can't touch me!