Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2003, 10:49 AM   #1
Haldir
Manshoon

Is anybody familiar with board game Warhammer?
Old 09-16-2003, 10:55 AM   #2
Grendal
Manshoon

It comes as a boardgame?
Old 09-16-2003, 11:16 AM   #3
Jorath Calar
Harper

I am... don't collect or play it though, but I have some Lord Of The Rings miniatures from Games Workshop, I really like painting them but the game itself is not so much fun... (Aragorn the Invincible!) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sauron: Paint me an Army worthy of Mordor
Me: Sure...

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2003, 11:32 AM   #4
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

I am a Warhammer 40000 player (though it is ages since I've actually played).

Still own a sizable tyranid swarm and have a dream of someday completing an entirely flying army.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:34 AM   #5
andrewas
Harper

I used to play it. But when you snag your opponents army lists, photocopy them, and show them to the beardy guy in the store in case he has any suggestions that may allow you to survive the first phase of the first turn, and he gives up, it kind of puts you off.

(It was a dwarven/wood elven alliance, and you know how beardy dwarven rune magic can be, even against a player who understands it. Then you have dwarven artillery, the *bane* of the lizardmen since Slaan are mandatory, expensive, and are large targets. Not many items can stop a cannon ball, never mind a salvo. And hiding behind a hill dosent appeal to a being that has the power to shape the very earth itself. And then of course you have a bunch of poncy wood elves standing on a hill so all ranks can fire. So you cast whirlwind and eliminate all missile fire, enemy flight and reduce all enemy movement withing 40", and then the godsdamned dwarves get a saving throw against it, which nullifies the whole thing.

Gimme 40K any day. Much better game.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:37 AM   #6
Granamere
Zhentarim Guard

Eldar and Ork here. I like the second editions rules better than the third. [img]smile.gif[/img] This go around Orc's are like an army or something. I really like the fact under second edition almost any role of the dice with Ork's you could blow your entire army up. Now that was fun. With theold Ork's you never played to win you played to see what was going to happen this time! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Granamere
Old 09-16-2003, 12:28 PM   #7
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Iv never really collected warhammer but 40k YEH! I dont really collect anymore, i thought they wer getting very expensive although i did collect Space Marines and have a very large army of them. I love painting them. I also have scenery and rules etc. but i havent played for quite a while.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:26 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Granamere:
Eldar and Ork here. I like the second editions rules better than the third. [img]smile.gif[/img] This go around Orc's are like an army or something. I really like the fact under second edition almost any role of the dice with Ork's you could blow your entire army up. Now that was fun. With theold Ork's you never played to win you played to see what was going to happen this time! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Granamere
Yep. 2nd Ed Orks were way kool. They could be Beardy, though. What I miss about 2nd Ed is how my bike squadron and landspeeder could cover upwards of 30" and still shoot!! I also hate the new rapid fire (if you move you shoot 12" instead of 24") rule. But, 3d ed. did do what it intended to do -- it minimized the importance of characters as opposed to troops.

Oh, last gripe. I hate the Vindicare Assassin in 3d ed. He never pays for himself, and is basically ignored by my opponents. I only field him because my paint job looks so kewl. I've named him "Timmy the Little Vindicare Who Could" in honor of Timmy from South Park.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:41 PM   #9
Tancred
White Dragon

I've collected Warhammer for 12 years, and 40K for four... I used to work at my local store, but I was declared a heretic for claiming that Lord of the Rings was a better game than either. Seriously, has anyone tried 1,500 point games of LotR - with no 'named' heroes allowed? You can form REGIMENTS! You can cover 6' by 4' of a board with Goblins! It's GREAT!

As an aside... try doing what the rulebook suggests and doubling the amount of enemy models in scenarios. Sometimes Aragorn dies. Heh. We once got together all the models we could get, and re-fought Helm's Deep with doub;e the amount of defenders, but quadruple the amount of attackers. That's 200 Uruk-Hai vs. 16 Elves and 24 Men! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Timber - are you using the rulebook Vindicare Assassin, or the Vindicare Assassin from the Daemonhunters codex? I mean, I've seen Vindicare do sone really nasty things... kill a Hive Tyrant in three turns, take out heavy weapon teams (he can do that)... if your enemy uses powerful HQ the Vindicare is the Man. If not... if not, then why is he there?!? He's an ASSASSIN - if there's no-one to assassinate, he's either AWOL or he's gotten lost! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Watch out for the 4th Edition of 40K. Rapid Fire is one rule that's being overhauled. Expect to see close combat become even less beardy and tanks to become a bit more mobile. 'S gonna be cool! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-16-2003, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Tancred ]
Old 09-16-2003, 08:32 PM   #10
GokuZool
Lord Ao

I haven't played a game of Warhammer (40k) in a long time.

I used to play as Chaos Marines and had a pretty big army!

Warhammer is ridiculously expensive in Australia, so I eventually stopped collecting.