Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-15-2003, 10:42 AM   #1
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Sorry guys who are not that old as i am lol, anyway it looks like in the new news about The Beatles they did NOT support the symphony Orckestra (sp?)Paul McCartney in their songs like in "The Long And Winding Road" and "Let It Be" and so on i have heard the songs without it yestrday and i find them horrible without the symphony Orckestra in them that make them SO god damn great to listend to special the "The Long And Winding Road" so you old guys who know this music how do you think? Yorick?
Sorry to not have an link to any of this music but it is on the cd The Beatles -Let It Be! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 11-16-2003, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 11-15-2003, 01:10 PM   #2
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

I actually prefer the new stripped down versions. I never was a fan of the Phil Spector wall of sound and found those strings very overdone.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:35 PM   #3
Grendal
Manshoon

I think most of us like the songs with all the background because thats how we have heard them for the last 40 years. Had we been listening to the stripped down versions for the same amount of time we probably would hate it if they "added" background music now. The "new" versions are the way they were written and meant to be heard. Although i like the "originals" better myself.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:40 PM   #4
Grojlach
Zartan

Erm... One of the reasons McCartney left the Beatles (and effectively imploded the band in the process) was because of Phil Spector's mutilation of the Let it Be-sessions, and The Long and Winding Road in particular.

From AMG:

Quote:
"The Long and Winding Road," along with "Let It Be," was one of two outstanding ballads that Paul McCartney contributed to the Let It Be album. And, like "Let It Be," it would be a number one single, although by the time it reached number one the Beatles would no longer exist, in part because of "The Long and Winding Road" itself. The role "The Long and Winding Road" played in this sad event needs some explanation and is intimately connected with how it was presented on record. In its initial form, "The Long and Winding Road" was a melancholy, piano-based ballad, casting a nostalgic eye on an apparent longtime friendship or relationship and pleading for that relationship to continue. McCartney — aided, unusually, by no harmony vocals — delivered the sentimental lyric in a sincere, gentle fashion that avoided, well, undue sentimentality. Particularly effective and plaintive are his repeated urgings that the subject of the song not leave him waiting and standing; it's also a nice device how he ends the bridge with a lyric about being led back to the long and winding road, which simultaneously lands the song right back at the verse with which it started. On an unconscious level, perhaps, this was a plea for the Beatles — who were beginning to unravel in early 1969 when the song was recorded — to pull it together to reconcile their differences and manage to continue, using the long and winding road as a metaphor for their own long, winding, and incredible career. A year later, the Beatles had all but broken up when Phil Spector was brought in for post-production on the material, largely recorded in early 1969, that comprised most of 1970's Let It Be album. In the remixes and occasional overdubs he performed on those tapes, the most substantial alteration was bestowed upon "The Long and Winding Road," which was embroidered with heavenly vocal choirs, horns, and strings. This turned what was originally a dignified, stately track into overly grandiose, orchestral mush, more saccharine than anything else the Beatles had ever released (except perhaps for "Good Night," in which the orchestration was obviously ironic). Worse, Paul McCartney, who was not consulted during this post-production process, was enraged when he heard what had been done to the song. It may well have been one of the last straws in McCartney's decision to officially leave the group. McCartney would cite "The Long and Winding Road" in particular as an example of why it was artistically necessary for him to quit in his suit to dissolve the Beatles' legal partnership. Issued as a single just after the Beatles had split, it reached number one anyway — a sad and clumsy note on which to bow out. The original, unvarnished, and much superior undubbed version of "The Long and Winding Road," fortunately, was made available on Anthology 3.
[ 11-15-2003, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 11-15-2003, 04:26 PM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

Having just read all thier biogs this year it was safe to say that the beatles where finished during the making of the album. Mcartney was a control freak *and why not* on his records, and to just leave the mixing to Lennon and Spector was a sure sign that he had finished with the band.

For many years the only beatle era song that Mcartney would regularly play live was "The long and winding road" in his own style, an attempt perhaps to set the record (ha!)straight.

The "let it be" album is one of the few I do not have, My favourite is, by far, the "white album" Which is your favourite.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 11-16-2003, 12:27 AM   #6
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

The stripped-down version is much better. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]

My votes for favorite albums:
Meet the Beatles from their early period--recorded in only one take!
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band from their middle period
Abbey Road from their late period

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:39 AM   #7
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

But listen to the "The Long And Winding Road" ,you cant say it is better stripped down i cant belive you mean that!!