Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 03-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Thumbs Up World War Movies

1. Passchendaele - This one is almost perfect with a few clunky scenes on the homefront, and there is a romance part of this film so you may need to change your expectations knowing it isn't only action. Because of it your wives and girlfriends may enjoy it with you. The European battles scenes: the aftermath of Vimy Ridge and the third battle of Passchendaele in Belgium are amazing. They are grim, bleak, violent, and horrifyingly realistic. This is not an American war movie so Americans may be slightly disappointed in that it isn't about one of there major battles but I think for the war movie fans that whatever country the battle is about it isn't going to matter much, plus the Nazi's are the opposing team. One of the other points I liked about this movie is it looks at how war turns neighbor against neighbor because of national or racial heritage. This seems to be a universal problem that when any country goes to war, people stupidly look for the enemy among us.

2. Miracle At St. Anna - I enjoyed this one despite its flaws, which I found more in the story telling, structure, and tone of the movie. The heart of the film as great merit while the 1980's front and end do not. The movie is a fictional story about the real-life Buffalo Soldiers (African-Americans in the U.S. Army's experimental 92nd Division, which fought with heroism in the Allies' Italian campaign in 1944). The racism of the era is shown on the homefront. One of the things I enjoyed most about the film is the director distinguishes different types of Germans from an enlightened soldier to a despicable SS butcher, to avoid stereotypes. Another thing I enjoyed was the propaganda campaign the Germans launched against the African-American troops, that highlighted segregation issues back in the U.S. The third thing I liked about the film is the massacre of 560 citizens at St. Anna di Stazzema on Aug. 12, 1944 were the SS troops murder the Italians. This scene of the massacre was hard and difficult to watch do to the violent and savage nature of the scene and it will stir emotions of anger and sadness and if you could find a time machine you would probably want to go back in time and rip out some SS soldiers hearts due to the cold blooded murder of the scene and the victims also included children and babies. So be warned that this is in there and it isn't pretty kind of like Schindlers List with the little girl in the red coat. Unfortunately for this movie the ending is not that good and anything but a miracle.
3. Australia - While not a true World War movie I will put it in due to the bombing of Darwin which was a significant even and occurs towards the end of the film. I enjoyed the movie for the most part. One thing of note was Canada treated there aboriginal people much the same as Australia, which was a tragedy in itself and I wonder if it was more prevalent throughout the commonwealth. Many of the aboriginals in Canada are still fighting to get over that past of being ripped away from there parents as a result they often have difficulty being parents themselves due to not knowing what it is like to be a parent. So it takes a little work over the generations to grow past that and it was the worst thing they could do to a people. The movie did get off to a rocky start and I almost thought I was watching Crocodile Dundee III (There isn't a III right).
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote