Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2011, 01:39 AM   #11
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: A Dance with Dragons

My copy is on the way, giving me just enough time to re-read the summaries, lol, it's a complicated story.

I still subscribe to the following belief:
- Jon Snow is a Targaryen. He's the son of Ned's sister, by Rhaegar.
- If Jon Snow and Danny get together = Targaryens reborn.

I still think that's where this is headed.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah me too. And they each get a dragon. But who gets the third?

Just read half the prologue. It gives some interesting info about what some characters might be able to do eventually.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:39 AM   #13
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

The books are amazing I am actually waiting a bit before I read this one. I have waited so long for it I can wait a bit more. I will be reading it before they show any of this book as part of a season on HBO. Right now reading In the Name of the Wind, and waiting for the last book in Wheel of Time series to come out.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #14
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Not only do I dislike this book in particular, but I have come to see through Martin's style and identify him as a hack. A clever hack, upon first read, to be sure, but a hack nonetheless.

Let's look at his formula.

Step 1 to a GRR Martin book: Diagram out 15-17 plot points. Simple plot points. At least 6 of these plot points should involve "Surprise buttsecks!", "Surprise Amputation!", "Surprise Beheading!", or "Surprise getting shat or pissed on!"
Step 2: Pick a character from each of those plot points who can witness the plot point. 7-8 characters total should cover all the bases.
Step 3: Expand each plot point into a chapter, told from the assigned character's point of view.
Step 4: Make sure to kill off at least 2-3 of the 7-8 POV characters. Readers just loooove this.
Step 5: Come up with a shitty short story about someone dying to attach as a prologue.
Step 6: Steal a draft chapter from your next book, and call it an epilogue.
Step 7: PROFIT!!!

Last edited by Timber Loftis; 08-16-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #15
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Why do you dislike this book? Is it because of the newest death? :p
Old 08-17-2011, 12:23 AM   #16
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I actually loved this book. Then again I think it was because I waited so long anything would have been awesome lol.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #17
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
Why do you dislike this book? Is it because of the newest death? :p
Partially, but not mainly. Yes, I was irked that one of the few remaining original "protagonists" got axed... or knifed, rather. Killing off all the original protags kills continuity for me. Only one is left, and I find her very uninteresting, frankly.

But, the whole chapter where that "newest death" occurred irked the hell out of me. First of all, he used a raven's letter to skip whole chapters of plot development. He took around 500 words of prose to wrap up about 3 different plot issues I was interested in hearing about. Second, it was an all-too-common foreseeable plot hack of his: to wit, any time you read a few chapters with someone "doing the right thing" or "getting things back on track as they should be," you know they're about to die -- 100%. Which has become about 90% boring.

Yes, I'm irked that every Stark seems destined to be living their life as a tree or wolf, if at all. But, moreover, I'm more irked about the rote methodology than I am the outcome. I was irked about 1/3rd through, long before the "newest death" became an issue.

My 2 coppers.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #18
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
Yes, I was irked that one of the few remaining original "protagonists" got axed... or knifed, rather. Killing off all the original protags kills continuity for me.
Major piss me off moment for me too at the time.

But the character in question only got knifed - is not confirmed dead.

here is what GRRM had to say about that character's death in an interview with Entertainment Weekly:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So why did you kill xxxxxxx?
GEORGE R.R. MARTIN: Oh, you think xxxxxx's dead, do you?

Edited to remove any possible spoilers.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #19
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

As is fitting for the tech level of the time, people who take a knife in the gut and one between the shoulders don't tend to recover in these books. Well, unless a certain priest is around, who isn't in this case. I'm sure GRR says he's not dead, the prologue chapter of this book tells us exactly what we can expect to become of him.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #20
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Hopefully we won't have to wait as long to see.

I agree that this latest one felt more formulaic. You can see the plot threads coming toward an end and as such it feel much more like a regular, plotted novel than the other ones. But I'm hoping he still has something interedting and original planned for us at the end.

I haven't finished the novel yet. I'm reading 3 other books at the same time. But personally what really annoyed me was the direction Daeneris's chapters took.

And I was happy to get Tyrion back but I'm not certain I like how things are going for him so far. We'll see.