Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Default I am officially sick of winter

Had the the biggest icestorm drive it's way through Kentucky and southern Indiana. They're saying it's the worst storm, period, the area's seen because of all the power outages, and deaths because people are using their gas heaters the wrong way.

I'm actually physically sick again, not to mention, everything's been iced over, they estimate over 500,000 people don't have power because so many of the trees collapsed on power lines from all the weight of the sleet and snow.

Was about to lay down the other night when I heard a boom, went outside and saw one of the powerlines caught fire. And it's snowing again.

Bah, winter sucks yo
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: I am officially sick of winter

That's a hell of a wake-up call!

I'm with you, too... I'm *really* looking forward to winter being over. Haven't lost power this year, at least not for any significant period of time, but you never know when those power lines are going down (or when some yahoo is going to decide to see if he can move a utility pole with his car).

*edit* Found a perfect smiley:

-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.

Last edited by Bungleau; 01-30-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangrell View Post
Had the the biggest icestorm drive it's way through Kentucky and southern Indiana. They're saying it's the worst storm, period, the area's seen because of all the power outages, and deaths because people are using their gas heaters the wrong way.

I'm actually physically sick again, not to mention, everything's been iced over, they estimate over 500,000 people don't have power because so many of the trees collapsed on power lines from all the weight of the sleet and snow.

Was about to lay down the other night when I heard a boom, went outside and saw one of the powerlines caught fire. And it's snowing again.

Bah, winter sucks yo
What was the worst for us was, hearing the tree's "scream" as they broke, split, or busted under the weight of the ice, followed by the ensuing crash as limbs, trunks and tops covered with ice, shattered on the ice covered ground.

500,000 is very low, Arkansas had that yesterday, our local news, WAVE3 out of Louisville was reporting 1.5mill across the state, 200K in our region, with almost as much without water. Last report I got was just over 100K in the region, and missed state wide, yet those came with warnings that with the warming we could lose power again.

We were fortunate, power loss for less than 8 hours, water for 30 hours, interent was spotty yesterday for about 6 hours. Furthermore, DirectTv did not go out, so while the cable folks market there ability to deliver over inclement weather, which by the way, has not effected us since June 2004 when we moved in, they cannot deliver to my neighbors due to their lines being down. However, we did lose the HD service due to ice on our dish and LNB, but non-HD was there.

Mayor Abramson of Louisville, was pleading with folks on TV news to ventilate, ventilate, and get outside to get fresh air if you are using alternative heating sources.

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...0420/-1/celebs

Our rural district is currently 90% back with water, and down to about 15K without electric, but Elizabethtown just reported a sub station going down at 4:00 PM, and crews working to get it back into operation.

Next is the dreaded clean-up...

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Suddenly, I'm glad we have mild winters over here in Portsmouth.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

I'd say move to Florida, but we're frequented by a different kind of storm here.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
I'd say move to Florida, but we're frequented by a different kind of storm here.
HA! I left Florida in 1981, proclaiming never to return for more than a visit!

The 7:00 PM update said state wide we are currently at 437,000 without power, 350,000 without water. Louisville region is 172,000 without power and a large number without water. Three people found dead due to asphyxiation. Mayor Abramson looked tired, dirty, and sounded horrible. The man needs an 8 hour furlough!

On a good note, Grayson county now has a generator operating at the Wal-Mart! (Seriously, Grayson county is about 38,000 folks, farming is the mainstay, with only about 7,500 who needed assistance).

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

I guess I should be wary of asking for more winter...or more snow.

lol wouldn't want to place myself in that situation that started this thread... :/
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:01 AM   #8
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

When you ask for rain, don't carry an umbrella around; carry a boat.

Not sure how that might translate to snowy weather.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:11 AM   #9
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
HA! I left Florida in 1981, proclaiming never to return for more than a visit!

The 7:00 PM update said state wide we are currently at 437,000 without power, 350,000 without water. Louisville region is 172,000 without power and a large number without water. Three people found dead due to asphyxiation. Mayor Abramson looked tired, dirty, and sounded horrible. The man needs an 8 hour furlough!

On a good note, Grayson county now has a generator operating at the Wal-Mart! (Seriously, Grayson county is about 38,000 folks, farming is the mainstay, with only about 7,500 who needed assistance).
Maybe you can verify this Felix, I had heard that the storm is supposed to sweep back through going south on Monday, carrying about 8-10 inches with it. Any word?
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:47 AM   #10
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
When you ask for rain, don't carry an umbrella around; carry a boat.

Not sure how that might translate to snowy weather.
Carry a snowmobile?
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote