Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2011, 03:01 AM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Thumbs Up From PC to Board Games

It has been awhile since I have been on this site has I don't tend to play PC games very much anymore. The only PC games on my machine right now are the BG trilogy and the Knights of the old Republic RPGs. I may have kept NWN on but lost all my keys when I moved. Play some Wii titles but mainly entertain myself with board games these days.

Here are a few of my favourites from my collection.

1. Cyclades
2. Defenders of the Realm
3. Cosmic Encounters
4. Zombies!!!
5. Citadels

Anyone else play board games.

Defenders of the Realm is a cooperative game based in a fantasy setting and is my most played board game due to the fact it can be played solo. The goal is to defeat 4 generals of the dark lord whose armies (demons, undead, orcs, dragonkin) are marching on Monarch City. There is only one way to win but several ways to lose. In this game you can choose to be a paladin, cleric, rogue, ranger, wizard, sorceress, dwarf, or eagle rider. The artwork is by Larry Elmore and many of you may be familiar with since most of you may have created a NPC for Baldur's Gate using his artwork at some point. The game plays by heroes having special abilities, and a number of action points to use that also count as there hit points. With the action points they can perform various task.

There are three decks of cards in the game.
1. Hero cards are used for special movement, fighting generals, healing the land and creating gates/portals to move around easier.

2. Quest cards are just that quest that the hero can do to get equipment, or better save the realm. A hero takes on one quest and gets another upon completion.

3. Darkness spreads - The meat of the game. This deck controls the general movement and the minion placement throughout the game.

All I can say is the game is fantastic, and if you get a chance to play try it. You may want to try it first as it is kind of pricey.

To this game I have added the following expansions.

1. Barbarian hero
2. The dragon expansion, which makes the game even better. This expansion adds 3 dragon generals that may also be used as agents of the dark lord, reward cards, global effects, 4 new minions (imps, zealots, fire elementals, dragon mages), fire tokens, a point system, blessings, and I am sure I have left some things.
3. Hero Expansion #1 - This expansion adds 4 new characters. Chaos Wizard, Assassin, Adventurer, Captain of the guard and a new miniature for the paladin. The paladin now looks like he is riding a warhorse and not a miniature pony.

The game says for 13 and up. But I have played it with my six year old and we had a blast, and he learned some important basic skills.

Last edited by pritchke; 08-14-2011 at 03:06 AM.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
Chewbacca
Zartan

Default Re: From PC to Board Games

I play alot of board and card games these days too. Recently played the updated Civilization game. Very in-depth... another is quirky a co-op game called Forbidden Island. Fast paced and all-ages.

I have heard Zombies!!! is good. I used to read the box at Newbury Comics. I'll hafta bug my game-hoarder friend to play that one with me sometime.

Oh yeah Ninja vs Ninja is a blast. Chess-like but with a random element. Plus, Ninjas, duh.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
pritchke

Fantasy Flights, Civilization and Forbidden Island are on my wish list. The fog of war for civilization looks to be an interesting concept.

Zombies!!! is a very simple game. The basic play is lay a tile to the board, place zombies, move, fight zombies along the way, and play cards to screw with other players or help yourself. A very simple, easy to learn game that anyone can learn to play. It is a very thematic game so feels like you’re in a cheesy B zombie movie. Value and component wise it is also very good. With this game I recommend picking up an extra bag of zombies, and Expansion 6. For the sewers and subway tiles.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

My brother has Citadels, if its the same game... Sort of a card game, right? You select a character card that gives you certain perks and balances, the goal being to build up your citadel. something like that anyway. It's been years since I played it.

We also used to play Titan, and Blackbeard. Both of which were ok with two players, but would have been better with more.

Also on the list were Risk, Stratego, and some kind of fantasy version of stratego complete with unique hero tokens artifacts, etc.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
pritchke

Yes, that is Citadels 2 to 8 players can play.

Here are two other games I own
6. Settlers of Catan
7. Carcassonne

If you enjoy risk I recommend the:
Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game

I don't own it yet but looks good.

Last edited by pritchke; 08-24-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

1. Descent
2. Game of Thrones/Clash Kings (Haven't tried Storm Swords yet)
3. Settlers of Catan, w/ expansions
4. Arkham Asylum
5. There's this really great space combat game, the name escapes me.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

Two card-based games we play regularly are Race For The Galaxy and Dominion.

Race for the Galaxy has a great over-all mechanic and is nicely themed.

Dominion is an entirely different kind of card game. It has seemingly endless replayability.

These games bring nice mental challenge, superb social elements, and are both fairly short. Designed to be played in under an hour it's easy to fill an evening or afternoon with multiple games.

Checkem out!!!

Last edited by Chewbacca; 08-28-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
pritchke

Sunglass Man Re: From PC to Board Games

Twilight Imperium is a long space combat game that is really fun. If that is it I have played all those games on your list Timber Loftis, except for Descent. All really good games.

I am going to FallCon this year in October and will be playing Alien Frontiers. Looks like a good game although I have yet to see it in a game store.

And Race for the Galaxy is also good Chewbacca. Have not tried Dominion but hear alot about it.

Another game that is fun, easy to learn and only takes a hour to play is Small World.

Last edited by pritchke; 09-03-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

While we are on this topic, does anyone know if there are D&D board games? Especially any that can be played solo?

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah there's been some mention of them here lately. They are catching on a bit. Not sure about solo play though.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/...d.php?t=102086

Look on Amazon in the list below for more. I hear the Ravenloft one is awesome pawsum.

http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Drago...5153027&sr=1-2