Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-19-2003, 04:35 PM   #1
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

I just got out of an almost day-long discussion with my classmates in earth and space science 1111, and I must say we've been finding out the most odd things. Every now and then I might start a thread here to tell you about the things we discovered/talked about.

First interesting thing: Mars is close to Earth, as we all know, but did you know that the light reflected off of mars was lighting up Saturn? Yeap, Infact Saturn is in very good view as well. You can check out a shot of it here.

Next: Acoording to 3 of my classmates, Nasa has been pointing Satelites at a black hole we've spotted that consumed a star a few years back. What's interesting is that the readings Nasa is getting back are registering as sound waves. This opens an odd question: do black holes produce sound? Perhaps the sound waves are being created by an after shock of energy and magnetism brought on through the stars consumption. No one is really sure right now.

Finally: Apparently on the last payload to the international space station, the astronauts brought along an electric keyboard and some sheet music. They say it's just to feel more at home and not like they're on an isolated space vessel.

You can get a nice big picture (1.5 megs) of two astronauts just chillin on the ISS here. That's all I've got for now.

The picture of saturn I think is very neat, and the fact that black holes produce sound waves is just... odd... I mean... come on... Does this mean that in space someone really could hear you scream if you were getting sucked into a black hole? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2003, 04:46 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I think those sound waves are some interference or something, because sound waves can't move in vacuum of space. The idea that something is coming out of a black hole is a bit far-fetched. A black hole is an infinitesimally small amount of space which has an extremely large mass and gravity pull. It's force of pull is so strong that it consumes light. Thus, nothing gets out of a black hole, except on the other side. What's the other side? The other side of a black hole is only a possibility, and a rare one at that. If it were true, only one in a million black holes would construct singularities through space-time and create worm holes. That's the other side.
Was there anything else?
Old 09-19-2003, 05:02 PM   #3
Raistlin Majere
Ra

i dont remember where i read it, but remember reading from somewhere that black holes produce some ultra-low frequencie sounds that travel through space. how it could escape the immense pull of the black hole, well the only explenation i could come up with would be that since light is something like elektrons and stuff like that, thus it could be sucked in to the black hole, while sound is just different wave lenghts, or something simliar. not very good, i know, but thats what id come up with if someone were to ask me...about that "sound waves cant move in vacuum of space", dont they(dont ask me who) have some satellite dishes to take in and identify any possible sound waves, were they to come from outer space...?

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Old 09-19-2003, 05:03 PM   #4
Stratos
Vampire

Sound are wave motions passed along by the particles in air so
it's unlikey that it's sound. But if black holes eminates something it might be possible that it has the same wave lenght as some sounds. But then again I'm no physicist.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:06 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

Black holes do emit radiation - Stephen Hawking would be the man to talk to about that. Or rather, 'Brief History of Time' and 'Universe in a Nutshell' would be the books to read. Wossisname Krauss speaks of it in 'Physics of Startrek' and 'Beyond Startrek' as well. Its all to do with virtual particles and imaginary energy and weird quantum stuff that can happen in areas of space with a steep gravity gradient.

Thats low level though. What is being detected is from the accretion disc, not the hole itself. Its radiation generated by the matter falling into the black hole and getting heated in the process. Of course sound cannot travel in a vacuum, so I suspect the 'sound waves' are low frequency EM waves rather than actual sound.

As for the far side of a black hole, thats pure speculation. I dont think black holes have any far side. And if one did, both ends would be singularites, so both ends would be black holes and thus it dosent matter to the outside universe anyway.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:09 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Sound waves can't move on the vacuum of space because, like Stratos said, they are the motion of particles. Sonic signals are, however, possible, and they could escape black hole's gravity if their phase is shifted somehow. Since the phase-shift theory is just that, a theory, I have no other explanation for that phenomenon.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:13 PM   #7
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
-snip- since light is something like elektrons and stuff like that,-snip-
If I remember my physics correctly they ( the scientist) don't know exactly what light consists of, but as more or less everything else consists of particles then the scientists assume that light does as well. They call these 'light' particles photons.
Quote:
-snip-about that "sound waves cant move in vacuum of space", dont they(dont ask me who) have some satellite dishes to take in and identify any possible sound waves, were they to come from outer space...?
These satellite dishes are searching for radio waves which can be played up as sound.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:18 PM   #8
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

As for the singularity having double black holes as it's sides, that doesn't have to be. If a black hole should open a singularity through space-time, with an exit on the ofher side, then one of the following should, theoretically, occur: Both ends are negative black holes(suction)
OR
Both ends are positive black holes(sometimes known as white holes, these theoretical objects are not really white. They are an inverse of a black hole, having the same strenght of force, but in the opposite direction, pushing things away.)
OR
The polarisation effect occurs, and one end is a positive and the other is a negative black hole. This, theoreticians say, is the most likely occurence.
OR
The black hole is fed up, it's mass becomes infinite and it is swallowed into space-time or, a bit more Sci-fi, subspace. The same happens in a white hole. It's mass becomes null and void, it ceaces to exist. The singularities lose their ancor points and they become instable, shifting tunnels.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:18 PM   #9
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:
-snip- since light is something like elektrons and stuff like that,-snip-
If I remember my physics correctly they ( the scientist) don't know exactly what light consists of, but as more or less everything else consists of particles then the scientists assume that light does as well. They call these 'light' particles photons.
Quote:
-snip-about that "sound waves cant move in vacuum of space", dont they(dont ask me who) have some satellite dishes to take in and identify any possible sound waves, were they to come from outer space...?
These satellite dishes are searching for radio waves which can be played up as sound.
[/QUOTE]thats just about what i meant...maybe not exactly, but almost [img]smile.gif[/img]

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Old 09-19-2003, 05:24 PM   #10
andrewas
Harper

White holes would require exotic matter, which is not a confirmed possible above the microscopic level, and besides, Exotic matter has inverse gravity. It seems to me that a white hole would be massively unstable - just as the black hole's gravity causes it to contract to infinity density, a white hole's gravity should cause it to disperse to zero density.

But if you have any links to the contrary, it would make interesting reading.