Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2001, 12:44 PM   #1
Darkman

In my never-ending quest to find a party that I will actually stick with, I have decided to narrow my search by going with a smaller party. I've read that some people have played through the game solo, using nuthin but their avatar. I was thinking of trying it with just me and Imoen, so I will at least have some company with me, not to mention Imoen's thieving skills and spell casting when I dual her to a mage. But I can't figure out what type of avatar I should choose. I definately need someone who can fight, at least a little. I don't know how anyone could solo a mage through BG1 without resting every 5 minutes. How do you do it?? So I guess I'm probably looking at a dual or multi class for my character. What combinations of dual/multi class would you guys suggest? Are cleric spells a must have? With the extra money from selling spare gear that would otherwise go to the 4 other party members could I live off paying priests to heal me and Imoen? If my main char were a spell caster would that be a bit redundant with Imoen dualed to a mage, or would it be all the better with double the fire power? I probably don't need to be Thief since Imoen takes care of that, but hide in shadows would be very useful with this small of a party. Rangers have hide in shadows too though, but mages can cast invisibility... Sorry I'm starting to ramble! I just want some imput from people that have done this sort of thing before. A 6 person party levels up too slow in my opinion and it is a pain to have to mircomanage so many characters. I realize Imoen and my avatar will probably reach the experience cap rather quickly, but then will they not be really powerful for the rest of the game?

--Darkman
Darkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 01:12 PM   #2
-Aragain-
Dungeon Master

With my Ranger, i have potions, lots of potions. Any potion i find i keep becuase later on i will NEED it! That alone is my magic skill. Same goes for arrows since im a Ranger. Also, your Avatar gets an Innate Light Heal Skill which i currently have 2. Which can come in handy. Also, before going to battle with any mage, i slap on a Free Action scroll so I cant be totally fudged.

Now i was thinking of making myself a cleric, girl of course, to go along with my Ranger. The healing always helps. But Rangers are priests to, but i have yet to find a spell i can use.

Paladins would be great for soloing in my opinion. They can heal a bit, cast, and they get Lay on Hands. Which is a once a day FULL HEAL for anyone touched. would come in handy against Serevok.

Your right, I think its impossible to solo with a mage unles you have the moonblade, becuase that is the sweetest sword ive seen. How to get the moonblade on an avatar, well... you could hack but thats your choice.

Conclusion: I think the best soloing class, if any, would be a hybrid or Fighter/Priest class becuase that way you get the best of both worlds. I am now finding out that by the 5th Chapter things are getting pretty hairy with my soloer, unless i can find some magic arrows, or make my own =P, i just might have to give myself a cleric, or mage.

-Aragain Leafstalker
-Aragain- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 03:36 PM   #3
Lioness
Jack Burton

I would say its a fighter/mage or ranger/cleric, but potions are a must!!! Good Luck with that though!

------------------

Official teaser and ranger of the HADB Clan
Waitress and entertainer at Cloudy's Cafe in GD
Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 07:11 PM   #4
Jafin
Symbol of Cyric

I've never actually done it myself but if you're going to dual Imoen I would say Fighter/Cleric or even just Cleric. The only thing you'd gain by being a Fighter/Cleric would be weapon specialization since you won't gain the ability to use swords or better weapons than Maces, morning stars, warhammers, etc. Clerics can hold their own in a fight because they can use heavy armor and have some nice defensive spells. A fighter/cleric would PROBABLY get more HP and faster though (unless I don't properly understand the HP gaining system with Multi-classes :\)

I would say something that could heal itself to stay alive or dish out enough that taking damage is only a minor possibility, thus leading to either Cleric (or cleric hybrid) or a Fighter/Mage.

-Jafin

------------------

I am Jafin, arch-mage of the HADB clan!
Jafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 09:51 PM   #5
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

One tip: Pick up NPC's for their related quests. You can get a lot of GP doing this. When you have completed the quest, just dump them off somewhere. I do this with Minsc and Ms. D., Jaheira and Khalid, and Monteron and Xan. Certain situations call for more than 2 characters. Like before you go to the Bandit Camp, pick up Kivan and Brawyen (sp), and use them to kill Tazok at the camp. Plus, you get added gold, free equipment, and more kills to divvy the experience.
Nanobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 08:31 PM   #6
Bromley
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I haven't done it, but if you were going through with Imoen she could cover the thief/mage part.

You could then be a fighter cleric, as mentioned. A Dwarven F/C - the regeneration will be priceless if you are the only tank. Also, Imoen should be able to wear Drizzt's armour, should he leave it lying around somewhere ,and still use wands to summon monster, fireball etc.

Just thought, you won't be able to get Imoen's hide in shadows up to a decent level. A cleric/thief would probably be too weak for your character, and you do need a cleric. Although less so if you're a regenerating dwarf with a lot of potions, so you could be a dwarven F/T and backstab your way to victory.

[This message has been edited by Bromley (edited 08-18-2001).]
Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote