Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 05:36 AM   #1
Wolf On Fire
Dungeon Master

I've found the dude who cursed Jahiera except I can't beat him (I did once except I had cast haste before I went inside and the cowled wizards smashed me when I came back out.) The mages with him are really good. Any tactics for this battle?

P.S. Who is the best NPC thief to have?

Thanks

[ 07-19-2005, 05:37 AM: Message edited by: Wolf On Fire ]
Old 07-19-2005, 05:52 AM   #2
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Lets see if i can help. I'm going to assume that you mean the fight at the end of that quest, where barron ployer has some 'friends' and is actually able to be killed (without resorting to cheese).

A run down on your party make-up and levels would help immensly, all i've got is Jahiera, and some sort of mage. So, going with that, im only going to be able to make general suggestions.

Since im assuming you have a mage, i would suggest having all your group hasted, and a couple of acid arrows in a minor spell sequencer.

As soon as the fight starts, fire the sequencer at one of his 'friends' as this should stop him from casting spells. then just wade in and start swinging, concentrating on one enemy at a time.

Other suggestions include summons, and hold person spells. Web+Spiders is a good combo.

I would also suggest that if you can, get some dispel magic memorized, and also breach/pierce magic if you can.

As for your question on the 'best' thief in the game, in my experience, Imoen is the best of the lot. She has more than adequate thieving skills, and will progress quite high into the mage levels. If this is your first time through the game, i would suggest you take Yoshimo as your thief, he has a part to play later... (no spoilers here)

Other than that, the only other thief worth thingking about is Jan. He's a multi-classed mage/thief and will gain levels in both his classes. His dialogue is among the best in the game for comedy value IMHO.

The final thief in the game is Nalia. Although it is possible to use ehr as a thief, i would not recommend it, as her thievery skills are not the best, and you will find yourself giving her ALOT of potions to compensate.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 07:14 AM   #3
Wolf On Fire
Dungeon Master

Thanks

I have:
A mage slayer
Minsc
Jahiera
Aerie
Yoshimo
Nalia

some more Q's I have are:
-Is it possible to get a magic licence
-What kind of weapons do I need to kill a Rakshasa, if more than +1, where can I get them?
Old 07-19-2005, 07:26 AM   #4
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Yes you can get a magic liscence, the first time you tried the mage should have told you to talk to someone in the Government District, in the City Hall, or whatever it is at the top of the map.

Rakshasa require +1 IIRC, but someone lese will know for sure around here.

EDIT: checked the manual, they have really high magic resitance. ti may be that they require normal, unenchanted weapons to hit, the best way is to try and see.

[ 07-19-2005, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: Aragorn1 ]
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:33 AM   #5
ister
Drow Warrior

If you're a wizard slayer you should be able to deal with those mages reasonably easily with darts. Hasted you'll fire 4.5 per round, and very quickly their spell failure will be huge. Poison darts would be ideal of course.

Spoilerish...

Yoshimo is a great thief. He isn't available all game though.

[ 07-19-2005, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: ister ]
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:17 PM   #6
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
One thing to note is that the Cowled Wizards only come after you if you cast spells out of doors. If you're inside a house, you can cast safely. If you want to have haste cast before you enter the house, try ducking inside a nearby house (like Gaelans), cast Haste (and any other preparation spells), then quickly run over to your target house. You should be able to get there with enough time left on your Haste to win.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 12:30 PM   #7
ZFR
Legion Symbol

have you considered bribing the wizards to make the fight easier?
Old 07-19-2005, 12:31 PM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Rakshasas are immuned to spells of level one to seven, and require +3 enchanted weapons.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:25 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

It is very, VERY important that you learn how to fight Mages. Don't put a lot of faith in the fact that you're a Wizard Slayer, they pretty much suck at killing spellcasters. You don't believe me, try playing with an Inquisitor in the party and you'll see who really gets the job done. But I digress.

There are many ways of dealing with spellcasters:
1) Break down their buffing and protection spells. Popular ways to do this include Breach, Remove Magic, Pierce Shield, Ruby Ray of Reversal, etc., as well as simply running away (or hiding) and waiting for their spells to expire. Invisibility spells are included in this group as well, and great ways to reveal enemy wizards include True Sight and a Thief's Detect Illusions skill.

2) Become temporarily immune to their magics. The important things to watch out for are Fire damage, Magic damage, Hold/Stun effects, and mind-affecting spells. Most of these can be countered both through spells and potions: For example, if you want to resist Fire, you can drink 1 or 2 Potions of Fire Resistance, and/or have a Wizard or Priest cast Protection from Fire on you, a Wizard could also cast Protection from the Elements or Protection from Energy, a Priest could cast Resist Fire/Cold, somebody with at least 9 INT could read a Protection from Fire scroll, or if your timing is very good, drink a Potion of Icedust. Note that all of these means, however, can be dispelled as I mentioned above in 1).

3) Become permanently immune to their magics. This can be accomplished only though innate immunities or resistances, such as a Cavalier's permanent immunity to all Poison damage, or through items, such as the +40% Fire Resistance granted by the Ring of Fire Resistance that was in BG1. On the whole, these resistances and immunities cannot be dispelled the way buffing spells can, but there are exceptions: Your Magic Resistance can be lowered by Wizards targeting spells such as Lower Resistance at you, and sometimes Dragons can cast an area-of-effect spell that makes those affected by it become more vulnerable to the Dragon's own element--a Brown Dragon, for instance, might cast Lower Acid Resistance at you before using its Brown Dragon Acid Breath.

4) Kill 'em before they can get any good spells off. Ways to do this involve fast, usually area-of-effect spells; they don't have to do a whole lot of damage, since Mages generally don't have a whole lot of hitpoints. Of course, this won't work too well if they've got their buffing spells up: It doesn't matter how many Fireballs you cast at a Mage if he's already under Protection from Fire.

5) Incapacitate 'em before they can get any good spells off. This is usually more effective than 4), because most Mages protect themselves against Physical and Elemental damage, not Hold/Stun effects or mind-affecting spells. So Web, Stinking Cloud, Greater Command, Emotion: Hopelessness, and of course the big gun as far as anti-spellcaster tricks is concerned, Insect Plague.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:09 PM   #10
ister
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:

4) Kill 'em before they can get any good spells off. Ways to do this involve fast, usually area-of-effect spells; they don't have to do a whole lot of damage, since Mages generally don't have a whole lot of hitpoints. Of course, this won't work too well if they've got their buffing spells up: It doesn't matter how many Fireballs you cast at a Mage if he's already under Protection from Fire.
That's why you use Skull Trap instead [img]smile.gif[/img]
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote