Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 01-17-2001, 12:16 AM   #1
Larr2

I have a question for you...What great event marked the chronological time change, to pick up at 0001. You see on that list that Evermeet and others, such as the time of Arcane, go back more than -6000 yrs. and the numbers decend, then pick up to be positive numbers. Christ's birth marked our calendar to change from BC to AD, so what big event changed the FR calendar??? The fall of the Netherese?
Old 01-17-2001, 03:13 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Click here for a listing of all the Forgotten Realms novels in chronological order, as well as the date first printed and the author.

It's useful if you want to get some perspective on when things happened in the novels.
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2001, 12:10 AM   #3
Larr2

You have earned my respect good sir! Thank you for sharing that needful info. I though I knew alot about the Forgottten Realms. I see that I am but a novice.

Me dijo que vives en Sydney, ¿¿no??
Si es cierto, tengo un favor de suplicar...Mi amigo, Mauricio Besso y su esposa viven alli. Quiero que me busca el numero de telefono... por-favorcito...
Old 01-24-2001, 09:30 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Dalereckoning (which is what DR stands for) is The Year of the Rising Flame (0 DR) which is when the Standing Stone was erected to commemorate the Elven Court allowing humans to settle in the edges of Cormanthor. The fall of Netheril happened about 3000 years before that. Here's a brief history for you.

History of the Dales and the Elven Court:

The founding of the Dalelands long preceded the creation of any of the existing Dales by hundreds of years, and the year numbering system known as Dalereckoning is actually a commemoration of humankind being given permission to settle in the lands north and west of the Inner Sea. Most of the current Dales are relative newcomers, the older having been abandoned, destroyed, or overrun long ago. In those ancient days, when Suzail and Chondathan (now called Saerloon) were mere coastal trading posts, the elves who ruled this forest entertained a request from settlers from the East; refugees and farmers from far-off Impiltur and Damara. This request was to farm and settle the borders of the great forest Cormanthor, in particular the rich delves and dales along the rivers Arkhen and Ashaba. These newcomers did not wish to lumber or clear the inhabited forest, but only to settle on the rich territories on its edges, and unlike some other settlers (early Sembia comes to mind) were willing to ask permission.

The lords of the Elven Court granted that request in return for aid from these new Dalelanders against outside aggression, both monstrous (orcs and goblins from the lands of Thar) and human (the rising powers in Cormyr and Sembia). In commemoration of this pact, humans and elves raised the Standing Stone that is now seen where the Moonsea Ride reaches Rauthauvyr's Road, the road from Essembra to Hillsfar. It is from the date of the raising of this stone that Dalereckoning is counted. According to the pact made, the Dalesmen would only settle those regions that were unforested or unclaimed by the elves. As the elven woods receded under the axes of further invaders and settlers, old Dales perished and new ones came into being along the borders of the woods. People, both good and bad, have raised petty nations in the Dalelands since, though any one Dale that turned against the pact would have to deal with the others. Each of the Dales is a large swath of farms and fields, with a few scattered settlements and usually one central marketplace, capital, or Dale center. These centers are often, but not always, named after the Dales they are in, adding to the confusion as to what is a Daleland's territory.

Hope this answers your question!
Old 01-30-2001, 07:28 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Larry, I checked out all the Bessos in the White Pages in New South Wales (the state that Sydney is in) and only found four. Can you give me a suburb or a street name?

Sorry to go off topic