Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2004, 09:16 AM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

The original is here
It says:
Quote:
BRADENTON, Fla. - Retired Gen. Tommy Franks has signed on to be the spokesman for a company that uses global positioning system technology in teens' cell phones to let parents know how fast they're driving.

Franks will be the official face of Teen Arrive Alive. The organization aims to get teens to carry a cell phone containing a GPS chip that sends out regular signals letting parents know where they are and how fast they're going.

If a certain predetermined speed limit is passed, an alarm will go off in the cell phone and parents will be notified.

A bumper sticker on the teen's car enables drivers to report reckless behavior. Both the teen and his or her parents are then notified by phone or e-mail that a negative driving report has come in.

"As a parent, I know it is not only my right, but also my responsibility to keep an eye on and protect my children," Franks said. "If I know where my kids are, where they're going, how they're driving and how fast they're traveling, I can counsel them before an accident occurs. I can help protect them."

As commander of U.S. Central Command based at nearby MacDill Air Force, Franks directed the invasion of Iraq (news - web sites).
their site is http://teenarrivealive.com/

What do you parents think?
And what about all you young drivers?
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:27 PM   #2
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Were I a teen again, I would lose my cell phone even more often that I did ... [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:07 PM   #3
armageddon272
Symbol of Cyric

Scrwe this. one, i dont like it. two, if this happens, not only will some teens lose the only fun they can have whiklst driving, but it will eventually try to be passed as a law so rebelling it will be illegal. i hope this project shuts down.
armageddon272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:09 PM   #4
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

ah, 666 anyone?
Old 12-13-2004, 03:03 PM   #5
MagiK

As a parent, I think that it is up to me to decide. Driving in the US is a priveledge as it is, as for teens to drive it is doubly so. Seeing as how I am ultimately responsible for my Son and his actions....I will have to decide based on his behaviour, if he gives me cause for concern, you bet yer butt Im gonna track him....and if he gets picked up foor drinking or speeding, I'll see if I can't get the vet to put a chip in him too
Old 12-13-2004, 10:16 PM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

My take on it? If he/she cannot be trusted to drive responsibly, he/she will not have a car to drive.

No real need for this, IMO, but it will still sell a bunch.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:59 PM   #7
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I don't like this. Not at all. Because for every teen that needs this, there will be some poor kid with manipulative, overbearing parents who want to control their children. I'm not even bringing the micromanaging parents into this, just the sickos.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:04 PM   #8
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
I don't like this. Not at all. Because for every teen that needs this, there will be some poor kid with manipulative, overbearing parents who want to control their children. I'm not even bringing the micromanaging parents into this, just the sickos.
Guess what [img]smile.gif[/img] It is the parents JOB to be nosey and manipulative and to tell the kid what he can and cannot do, untill such time as they determine (note they not the kid) that the Kid deserves some freedom. Anyone who thinks kids should run things....is probably a kid
Old 12-14-2004, 04:42 PM   #9
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I'm not talking about that, MagiK. I'm talking about the parents who have their 19 year old living in the house who can't move out because they have him trapped. Or that woman who doesn't let her son hang out with "those homos" and makes him call home every half an hour. I know the difference between good parenting and crazy behavior.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:27 PM   #10
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by aleph_null1:
Were I a teen again, I would lose my cell phone even more often that I did ... [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Exactly! That would be so easy for teens to get around.

"Sorry, mom, I guess I just forgot it!" [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote