Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2002, 07:58 PM   #1
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

What do you think about the new Star trek series ?

Looks nice. A bit of a throwback to the time when technology and exploration was just born. I liked the pilot film.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:59 AM   #2
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

You mean Star Trek: The Next Generation?

It's okay... never really enjoy Star Trek series very much. The beam me up thingy is just too unrealistic (IMHO).
Old 05-15-2002, 05:42 AM   #3
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

No, i actually mean Star trek : Enterprise. It's a new series set in a time frame before the original so there's not much to beam up. Oh, it exists but not used frequently.
Old 05-15-2002, 08:01 PM   #4
The.Relic
Red Dragon

When I can keep my desire for the high tech ST that we are uccostomed too at bay, I can usually enjoy Enterprise. Though there are occasions when I just don't have the inclination to sit through it.
The.Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 11:36 AM   #5
Albromor
Mephistopheles

First of all let me say I love Star Trek and have been a fan for years. However, Enterprise is a Berman & Braga tired and predictable vehicle that runs all over continuity. It is Voyager deju vu only with different actors and a different ship. I find it difficult to sit through even one episode, and believe me I've tried. B&B are killing the franchise.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 12:32 PM   #6
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

I haven't seen too many episodes (keep missing it), but have generally enjoyed what I have seen so far.
What continuity errors have you seen, Albromor? I haven't seen anything yet that was too out of line (although, as I say, I missed a few episodes)
Old 05-16-2002, 03:09 PM   #7
the new JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

One that i noticied immediatly was the way Klingons looked. Compare that to the 'earlier' Klingons in the original series and you'll know what i'm talking about.
Old 05-16-2002, 03:15 PM   #8
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

Like I said before, though, the Klingons in the original series (with Kirk, Spock, et al.) DO look the same as they ones in the movies, Next Generation, etc. We just can't "see" it. This was Roddenberry's own explanation. We have to imagine them the way we know them now because they didn't have the budget/ skill to make them look that way in the '60s. So no discrepancy there.
If you don't like that, then accept the alternate answer from "The Final Reflection" which says that the early Klingons were genetically altered to appear the same as whatever race they were dealing with. I.E those that dealt with humans looked more-or-less human and those that dealt with the Romulans had Romulan features.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:13 AM   #9
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

That doesn't make sence.
When the DS9 crew travels back in time to prevent a time traveler from killing Kirk, Worf encouters an 'old' looking Klingon in a bar and responded with "don't ask". Is that some kind of designer joke?
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 04:28 AM   #10
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnabas:
I haven't seen too many episodes (keep missing it), but have generally enjoyed what I have seen so far.
What continuity errors have you seen, Albromor? I haven't seen anything yet that was too out of line (although, as I say, I missed a few episodes)
Well if were taking the nevels as canon (and I dont) then the first enterprise was constitution class, transporter technology was already well established and starfleet was run by Admiral Kirk, father of James T. But sticking to established canon:

Ferengi shoudnt appear until TNG.

Holodeck technology shoudnt appear until very late TOS, and then only to other species.

Protein resequensers (poor-mans replicators) dont appear until TOS.

Why do we keep seeing new species in what will become the core of the federation? Shoudnt we have seen all the species in this area.

Quo'nos is 4 days flight from earth - for the DS9 Defiant. For the enterprise it should be more like a fortnight.

Still, I am liking Enterprise very much - and there should be the First Romulan War in a few season time. Interesting to see how they square that with the notion that romulans didnt have warp at the time.

(basic physics like how fast impulse/warp are and suchlike werent established until TNG, even the movies ball it up quite regularly).