Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2007, 11:55 PM   #1
Fryman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I dual-classed Imoen so she is an Invoker/Thief. I went to Durlag's Tower to find treasure and gain some experience points. In the first main hall of the Tower after the Ike, the tour guide says his bit, the Demon Knight appeared and did a number on my party of six. Since that point all of Imoen's spells are grayed out. I cannot select then and she can no longer cast them. Is that a bug in the game or has something else happened? Cursed? Caused to forget all her magic? There are no icons on her picture to tell me what the problem is.

She can still fight and use her thief abilities, just no spells.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!
Fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Hi there!

This is a longshot I know, - but is she wearing leather armour? That would negate your spell casting ability. Mages generally don't like to be encumbered too much.

Otherwise, you may indeed have an odd sounding bug, one that I've never seen or heard of before. Try checking various forums, especially at bioware. I'm guessing you're patched to the max, but that's worth bringing up aswell. Good luck at any rate, and enjoy the mammoth surreal intensity that is Durlag's Tower. [img]smile.gif[/img]

How many posts later until my answer was validated?

[ 02-01-2007, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Has she suffered any stat damage? I suppose maybe if her Int got dropped by something like a Feeblemind spell, she may be temporarily unable to cast anything. If you haven't already, trying to rest somewhere might also help, you never know.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
Fryman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

She has Shadow Armor -- which I assume is a special variety of leather armor. Would that have the same effect?

I swear she was able to cast spells prior to being attacked by the Demon Knight. At least after that is when I noticed her spells were there but unselectable during combat. But you bring up a very good point. I'll play around with all her gear in case there's something that causes the problem.

Worst case I have an earlier save before we went to the Tower I can revert to.

So far Durlag's Tower is pretty cool and very intense. I went up first figuring the depths of its dungeons are probably worse off. Very good addition to the overall game. My goal is to boost my XP so I can go back and whoop those Iron Throne stooges.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
Fryman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

PurpleXVI,

Good suggestion! It's possible the Demon Knight could have that spell in its repertoire. That sounds like something that could be ailing me. How does one counteract that spell? Is it permanent?

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

It's been ages since I last played BG1, but I think Feeblemind would be represented by an icon. I'd imagine the cure to be either Restoration/Lesser Restoration or a Remove Curse spell.

Shadow Armor would have the same effect, yes, under 2nd edition D&D rules, no one can cast wizardly magic wearing any armor other than robes/clothes or Elven Chain/Plate Mail.
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:54 AM   #7
Fryman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

PurpleXVI,

There is no icon next to her portrait in the interface.

I just got the Shadow Armor and now that I think about it, it has been a while since I've needed her to cast spells. We travelled from Baldur's Gate all the way south to Nashkel on our way to Durlag's Tower. We did get ambushed a few times but not by anything requiring her to cast any magic. I like her to have the extra protection but will probably need her spells in the dungeons of Durlag. I'll swap it for a robe to see if that does the trick.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
The problem was the Shadow Armor. That's a type of leather armor, which would block Immy's casting power.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:16 PM   #9
Fryman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yep, it was the Shadow Armour. Thanks to all for their ideas and advice!

I hope to continue my quest to bring down the Iron Throne. I'va had BGII and ToB for awhile now staring at me, waiting for me to finish BGI and TotSC.

I'm sure at some point I'll be back asking for more advice.

Thanks again!