Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 10-31-2002, 04:28 AM   #1
Luseleaf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am in the middle of Nashkell mines, and thinking about what I will do with my party next. My character is a cleric, and I have Minsc, Khalid, Imoen, Jaheira, and Kivan. Jaheira kind of frustrates me with her lack of ability to wear armor, her relatively slow rate of progression, and her relatively few spells. Should I trade her out for Branwen, instead?

I like having a lot of clerics. Now, in the beginning, it has helped a lot to have two healers, but I wonder if it will be a mistake later on. Anyone have arguments for or against two true clerics?
Luseleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 06:42 AM   #2
Billy Yank
The Magister

I like having lots of clerics too. Last time I went through BG2, my party was almost all clerics and paladins. I called it "The God Squad". BTW, Jaheira can wear any armor. I usually put her in the ankheg armor and use her as a secondary tank.
Old 10-31-2002, 06:48 AM   #3
Legolas
Jack Burton

If you kick out Jaheira, you'll lose Khalid as well. "Historically" (i.e. looking at BG2) your party consisted of J&K, you, Imoen, Minsc and Dynaheir. By the way, if you want to keep Minsc, you'll end up having to get Dynaheir as well.
Personally, I think Branwen + another character would be a better choice than Khalid and Jaheira though, and it would let you keep Kivan too (tossing out Imoen is out of the question [img]smile.gif[/img] ).
Another option is to keep J&K, and lose Minsc. Then you can get Branwen as well, or if you're in need of a mage, Xan awaits further down in the mines.
Almost too many options

EDIT: Oh, and I almost forgot...

[img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] Welcome to the board Luseleaf!

[ 10-31-2002, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 07:07 AM   #4
Grungi
Banned User

i go with imoen/xan/khalid/jaheira/branwen, have both it means lots of creature summoning alot of healing alot of anti poison and alot of useful spells pooled, plus when you get higher you can go bear with jaheira and do some mean damage, both of them have good -ac with me and both hit hard in combat too and have low thac0 so i can even use them as tanks if i need to and khalid is almost as strong as my main char with thac0 of 4 and ac of -6 i think
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 08:09 AM   #5
Keraptisdm
Elminster

Welcome to the boards Luseleaf. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Brawen is a better cleric, but as Legolas stated, if you remove Jaheira, you'll loose Khalid too. Unless Jaheira gets killed. You could add Ajantis, if you loose Khalid. Decisions, decisions. I spent more time deciding on party configuration because of the "pairing" than I did playing the game! (Ok, maybe not. But it sure seemed that way)
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 09:32 AM   #6
Grungi
Banned User

my party works the best out of all the ones i have tried, only major problem is lack of evocation spells, so no big nasty ones like cloudkill, saying that i have managed the fights so far without a need for fireball or any hvy damage spells as my two main tanks are just so damned hard they hack up anything in their path, the good thing about my party combination is the boost ups, i end up with a party with just about everyone on 18 strength (and not using strenght of one either) and all hitting with a thac0 under 10 and all nicely hasted plus with an army of about 40 henchmen [img]smile.gif[/img] ha who needs fireball anyway
Old 11-01-2002, 03:29 AM   #7
Luseleaf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hmm. About getting rid of Jaheira and keeping Khalid, I wasn't plotting her murder, but I had contemplated conveniently leaving her gambling at the fair. I was imagining her as gambling addict. . . .

Perhaps I misunderstand, but I thought druids couldn't wear better than studded leather armor. Am I wrong? I mean, beside the ankheg armor, that is, which I have only because I was lame and looked up its location in Nashkell.

My characters are second and third level, and are hardly imposing tanks at the current moment, with the best armor class being -1. I was forced to give the ankheg armor to Minsc because I was too poor to buy him anything better than splint mail. That's the main reason that I went looking for the ankheg armor.

Before I leave for rescuing Dynaheir, I was planning to abandon Khalid temporarily to make room for her. Then, when I return, I could keep either Minsc or Khalid. Minsc can turn into a druggie and smoke lotus all day if I keep Khalid, instead. . . . Will this plan work?

Thanks for the welcome, folks.
Luseleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 06:12 AM   #8
Grungi
Banned User

you can cos theres so many ways of creatively splitting the party, still like my party combination best, for completing bg1 at any rate
Old 11-01-2002, 12:26 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Luseleaf, pure Druids cannot wear metal armor because their belief system forbids them to wear any clothing that is not "natural" in origin; i.e., does not come from a plant or animal. Fighter/Druids have overcome this mental block, and can wear any armor they please, although they are still restricted to the same set of weapons that straight Druids can use.

Go ahead and lose Jaheira--It's good to have 2 healers in the party in BG1, and Druids aren't good until BG2. Just as a little note, I can't picture Jaheria getting attached to gambling, though. Stick her in a cave somewhere would be my plan of action. But don't get attached to Khalid, either--sooner or later, you're bound to find someone you like better, and I for one can only stand Khalid's wimpy attitude for so long.
Old 11-02-2002, 11:16 AM   #10
purre
Banned

Forget Jaheira anf Branwen,take Viconia! She is best. Good way to get rid of unwanted companion ( like in the case of Xzar/Montaron,Jaheira/Khalid,Minsc/Dynaheir) is to kill the other one.Take for example Minsc and put him in a house alone,outside kill Dynaheir,and dump her body,you will have Minsc without Dynaheir.More "friendlier" way is just "forget" to heal Dynaheir.
purre is offline   Reply With Quote