Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2003, 04:14 PM   #1
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Wonderful, just wonderful!! *kicks cat, eh err, dog that is, yeah dog (Sorry Z) then proceeds to ravage the surround lands until calm enough to continue. It decided to send some nice downpouring rain in Florida today. Unfortunately the enemy of EVERY computer user on eart reared it's ugly head, lightning!! And me with my less than optimal surge protector. Lightning strikes pops the whole house's power, everything shuts off and comes back on in the blink of an eye. My computer reacts, as normal, with the rest of the house. The killer? I decide to play Morrowind after my computer is up and running again. Loads nicely untill you want to load a saved game. Gets up to initializing files or whatever it says and closes back to Desktop. GRRRR ended up removing all of Morrowind and reinstalling it. Haven't tested it yet, but if it still doesn't work any ideas on what might be busted? Be specific.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 12:31 AM   #2
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

could have blown your SD or RDRAM or it may have just cleared them if so you may have lost all of your save games but you should be able to start a new game.If you can't then, check your 4 RIMM sockets to see if you need new memory cards or not.

AND GET A SURGE PROTECTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2003, 01:29 AM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

don't need to spend $450 for a power surge protector. just make it a habit to unplug your computer power plug from the plug and the telephone line from your modem.

[ 05-24-2003, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 05:07 PM   #4
B_part
Quintesson

Kakero is right. Never use your comp during a storm. It's pressing your luck. Unplug the machine and do something different for a change, like reading a book or signing in the rain [img]tongue.gif[/img] .
I know peaople who had to throw their machines away (HD, display, ram, main board, everything!) because of the lightning. Don't risk that... it would make the loss of some savegames a trifle matter!
Old 05-25-2003, 08:38 PM   #5
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Just to clear things up. I think it was the manner in which I got my computer to start back up that messed with the files. Also I didn't "lose" any save files they just wouldn't load all the way. My computer still registered them as existing. Anyways just had another storm tear through the area causing the power to flicker 3 times all in the same 5 min. period. Thankfully I took your advice and my PC was completely disconnected. Kakero, I'm not sure what kind of surge protector you've been looking at. Maybe one that could take a hit directly to the strip itself? Anyways I've made plans to pick up a UPS over the course of this week.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 02:58 PM   #6
TheSlayer
Manshoon

I know how you feel... my computer right here have been slow and full of errors ever since a storm... grrr...
Join the [url]\"http://darkenedshrine.proboards2.com/\" target=\"_blank\">Darkened Shrine</a><br /><br />[url]\"http://cultosheogorath.proboards15.com/index.cgi?board=csmods&action=display&num=10521557 13\" target=\"_blank\">The Burning Earth Project</a> - Looking for modders
TheSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 05:34 AM   #7
B_part
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSlayer:
I know how you feel... my computer right here have been slow and full of errors ever since a storm... grrr...
It doesn't take a storm: a Microsoft windows OS is enough [img]tongue.gif[/img]