Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Does anybody know how to disable these warning messages on individual drives?

I'm getting reminders every 5 minutes on a drive I use purely for file storage and its getting kinda 'irritating'

Edit: Windows XP Pro by the way

[ 03-09-2005, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Hmm, anybody have a clue how to prevent those irritating VIRTUAL MEMORY SPACE messages on XP Pro machines as well?
You'll get one of those yellow triangles with exclamation marks in them in your task bar next ot the clock, saying it will be automatically be enlarged(the virtual memory space), however, it says this all over agian next day, so I think it doesn't do ANYTHING anyway. 1. how to turn it off, and 2. how to enlarge virtual memory space.

Tnak you [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

You piggy-backer you! I got all excited and thought my troubles were at an end!

Procedure:

Control panel -> System

Click the 'advanced' tab. Click the 'performance' button. Then the 'advanced' tab. Then the 'change' button down the bottom under the Virtual Memory heading. Select manual and input a range. I think at least double the amount of your RAM is the norm.

For my 256MB of RAM, I have it set to 384-768 but if you've got the space then set the maximum as high as you like.

[ 03-09-2005, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
Old 03-09-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I prefer to set my virtual memory to a fixed amount (by setting the min and max levels to the same thing), not a dynamic one. Otherwise, what Windows does is to start at the smallest amount and add more as it needs to. The odds are pretty good that your virtual memory will end up being fragmented.

I use a rule of 2-3 times the memory on the box. So for 256MB, I'd set it to either 512 or 768, depending on my mood. I'd probably start at 512 and see if it worked okay for me.

As for those annoying disk space messages, I haven't seen them. A quick look at disk properties, however, shows that there's something called quota management which can be enabled or disabled. And within there, there are quota entries that let you specify the limit where you want to receive warnings. I'd take a look into that to see if it can clear things up.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Thanks for the reply Bungleau - I never thought about fragmentation - good point!

Alas, my quota settings are disabled

To add a little bit of information, it pops up with a balloon, similar to the USB speed warning for example. Clicking the balloon fires up the Drive Cleanup Wizard, but I can't find any options either there, or in disk properties.

Windows may be the easiest operating system to use in my experience, but it sure isn't the easiest one to administer!
Old 03-09-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

it can be done by editing your registry, but it's safer to just use TweakUI. you can get it here.
after you install and run it, go to the Taskbar and Start menu branch - uncheck 'Warn when low on disk space'

there, that's better, isn't it [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-09-2005, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: frudi_x ]
frudi_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:35 PM   #7
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Turning off %^&* disk space warning messages
Not sure I've come across that particular type of disk space warning
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Vaskez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 02:35 PM   #8
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I can almost feel the blood pressure dropping now - you're a legend Frudi!

I take it that the chance of keeping them for other drives (like my system drive where it might be quite helpful) is rather remote?.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edits: Vaskez - [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Frudi - autocomplete for a DOS command prompt!! No way!! It's almost like Linux now

[ 03-09-2005, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]